Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
absolutely sick, a mouse chewed grams hankies! >

absolutely sick, a mouse chewed grams hankies!

absolutely sick, a mouse chewed grams hankies!

Old 03-19-2011, 08:35 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

I have TWO wedding quilts to do this year, and was just getting prepared to start the one for my neice... my only neice. I had a whole nice bin of my mom's hankies & grandmother's and great-grandmother's hankies... talk about family heritage!

A mouse somehow chewed thru the plastic to get to the ribbons that were in the same container. Mouse poop, chewings, total destruction. I am just totally heartsick and had to cry on someone's shoulder who understands.

Jess's wedding is in June, and I was going to gather everything now that I am over this stupid flu (I've been sick for nearly a month). Her older brother is getting married in September, and his quilt will be much easier, just purple and crimson. That I can do out of anything. But her quilt was going to really be special memories of the matrons of the family, she is my brother's only daughter.

Maybe its my early menopause hitting, or just sick of being down with a tooth pull & then a horrible flu... this just has me totally in tears. Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:38 PM

OH NO!!!! I'm so sorry for you.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:41 PM

Take a deep breath maybe it's not too bad and parts of the hankies can be used. I hope it looks better tomorrow!
Old 03-19-2011, 09:14 PM

I am so sorry that those critters ruined your plan for a quilt!!!
Old 03-19-2011, 09:18 PM

I feel your distress, I would be heartbroken also. Hope you feel better soon.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:23 PM

Stupid mice!!
Maybe if you shake out the nastiness and throw them in the washer you'll be surprised at how many hankies survived. I've got my fingers crossed.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:24 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

this box (plastic Sterilite bin with snap closures) got put in the garage somehow... I have never seen plastic chewed like that! Everything is a mish-mash of threads and fluff... the further I dug into the bin, the harder I cried.

The biggest salvagable pieces I can get are a couple corners of one my mom got in Walchsee in 1990 when she treated herself to a trip there (we are of German descent). I cannot even tell if they were all in there, I am saying a prayer that I may have kept some separate, and they will be found safe.

Family already knows I'm stressed out from being sick for so long, they know I'm going to tear this house apart to make sure there aren't a couple hidden. I already checked the linen stack in the BR closet, none. Checked my undie drawers, none. I have been planning this butterfly hanky quilt for her, nothing else will be the same in my eyes, this was going to be a part of gramma, and great gramma's. My nerdy non-crafty brother was even involved in the planning, and though it would just make her day.

I'm off to bed, hopefully tomorrow will be a better day, it's nearly 1:30 a.m. here, and I'm finally out of tears.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:34 PM

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear what has happened. I've never heard of them going through plastic containters.

I know it wouldn't be the same as from the family pieces but there are places to get old fashioned hankies. Maybe you could get some newer ones. I seem to remember seeing some in a catalog somewhere. Also what about sending out requests to any of your other quilting friends and guilds. Check with some local knick knack, antique and thrift shops. Put a request out on craigslist asking for old hankies. You never know what response you might end up with. You could then add the few pieces from your family that you have left into a special part of the quilt, the center, part of the label etc. Just a few thoughts I had that I wanted to share. Good luck with your search of some replacements and your quilting project.

Pam M
Old 03-19-2011, 09:39 PM

I am so sorry about your hankies, I would still be in tears too. I love vintage things like that. Hope you find some in another place.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:18 PM

I agree with milp 04! I could prob find some hankies to add to it. Ask the board here to help! Good luck!! I was going to make a hankey quilt and never got around to it!!