Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
absolutely sick, a mouse chewed grams hankies! >

absolutely sick, a mouse chewed grams hankies!

absolutely sick, a mouse chewed grams hankies!

Old 03-21-2011, 05:07 AM

Sending a big hug! I bet if you take bits and pieces of all it's going to be just beautiful! Make it a challenge, you can do it!
Old 03-21-2011, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
I cannot find any hidden ones anywhere, so I am thinking they were ALL in that stupid container. I did peek on eBay, looks like lots of people sell "lots" of vintage hankies... any advice with not being able to see the actual hankies and feeling them (meaning by buying online) ~ I have never bought something like this, and I don't have time to mess with icky ones... its going to take a month for me to at least wash / fold / iron / applique the butterflies... then time to piece & quilt... wedding is June. Any suggestions? Anyone on the boards have some extras I could buy? I don't know what else to do. I am getting ready to list a lot of my outgrown / extra fabrics later this week (had to wait until my 90 day mark)... So i've got some goodies to trade or I can buy outright, don't have a huge budget, but still feeling the pull to make this bfly quilt for this sweet kid. I don't think I will feel right making any other design for her, ya know?
I have a few If you would like shout back i'll send a pic and if you like i'll share with you
Old 03-21-2011, 05:48 AM

This is tragic and I feel so sorry for you. If I had any they'd be yours. . .
Old 03-21-2011, 05:58 AM

http://www.ecrater.com/p/7769857/set...intage-hankies

http://www.ecrater.com/p/7769945/set...intage-hankies

http://www.ecrater.com/p/7769563/set...intage-hankies

http://www.rickrack.com/ha1.html

http://www.rickrack.com/white.html

http://www.atticshoppe.com/hankies/js1120.htm

So Sorry about your loss! :(
Old 03-21-2011, 06:50 AM

Wash them in a lingerie bag on gentle cycle. Lay them flat to dry. Then iron with starch. You maybe can use what is left as embleshment. Or part of a block. Good luck and God bless.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:24 AM

I know it does no good to say you can use substitutes, but what you may have had was a possum, rat or something much bigger than a mouse - it sounds gruesome - I've never had a mouse chew through plastic containers like that - but my suggestion for the hanky quilt is to make visits to many thrift shops, auctions and garage sales; you may just come onto old hankys that could be used to provide hankys for a quilttop to show your intent and include a little message with the quilt as to what happened to the originals, but that the gift was meant to be a commemorative

I'm so sorry for your loss as I have too a supply waiting for quilts to be made out of also - hope I do not have some of the same happen... but they are also garage sale, auction, and thrift shop finds along with some of mom's hankys.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:35 AM

What a disappointment. *When one door is closed , a window is opened*. Deep breaths...look for it.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:36 AM

If there are enough pieces of each hankie you could still do a crazy quilt
type into google.com under images, and then type in "Hankie crazy quilts"...maybe there's still a way to preserve them. I collect hankies just to do this very kind of quilt....
I will post pictures:

A book on doing one...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]172844[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]172846[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-172839.jpe   attachment-172841.jpe  
Old 03-21-2011, 07:40 AM

Look at the link above for "rickrack". Expensive but IMHO special.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by BJ SewKkrazzy
If there are enough pieces of each hankie you could still do a crazy quilt
type into google.com under images, and then type in "Hankie crazy quilts"...maybe there's still a way to preserve them. I collect hankies just to do this very kind of quilt....
I will post pictures:
I am so sorry this has happened to you. I know that nothing will truly substitute the original hankies. Hopefully you will find a solution that feels right in your heart.

Do you have enough of the hanky pieces to do a center block, using the "hankie crazy quilt" or some other special design? I think making what you have of the special hankies into a special center focal point will give them the honor you intended for them. Then with hankies you find online, at thrift stores, collectible/antiques stores, etc., do your butterfly blocks around the special center block.