Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Golden Years

Golden Years

What does that mean to you? I have decided that the golden years were when my Children were small and preschool age and my parents were healthy and we were all independent. What does it mean to you are you still waiting for them?

Hmmm. For me it is hard to say -- when the kids were little we were too broke to do all the things we wanted to do with them but we had our parents, we had love and I hope the kids enjoyed us being together. Now our parents are gone but we have wonderful grandsons living near us to love and enjoy. I treasure both sets of years -- we have been blessed.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

What do you think they meant when they said the golden years? My Dad is still alive but needs care I cannot travel my grandkids come twice a year they are 7 hours away I still am thinking it was when my kids were little,

Power Poster
    I am in my golden years....I need lots of gold to maintain myself.

I was poor broke all the time when my kids were young. That did not stop me from enjoying that period in my life altho at the time I thought it was aweful 5 boys and no money but we managed to put food on the table had lots of fun times and they had shoes,and cloths! looking back they were golden! Now that I am older I feel the aches and pains the stress of caring for an elderly disabled parent and having no time for my sewing, I am thinking this is not what they said it was cracked up to be! LOL

I was forced out of my job last May and really needed to work 5 more years. After months of resting and decompressing I have come to feel my golden years are now. DH told me he could see I was very happy and content and not to worry about trying to find another job. Yes the money worries me sometimes but I grew up poor and know who to be happy with what I have.

My golden years are right now. Life has never been better.

Blog Entries
    I'm still adjusting to full retirement. It's a golden moment when I realize I don't have to go to work today!
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

The golden years can be what ever you want.

Blog Entries
    Oh, Nancy W., I so agree with you. Every day can be a golden day. Last March, I woke up, had an appointment with the dr. to see if I could get an antihistamine for my allergy to parakeets. Golden day - I was rushed by ambulance to the hospital, spent two days there finding out I have Congestive Heart Failure and am NOT allergic to parakeets. Golden Day - Found out I can do anything I want to except shovel snow. Another Golden Day. Every day my feet hit the floor is a Golden Day for me - and I have been blessed with two absolutely super sisters, a wonderful family, grands, great grands, friends and neighbors. Sure, I can have a bad day now and again, but with my faith, I have everything I have ever wanted, needed, wished for and I will put my husband at the top - He gave me 53 golden years - he gave me the renewal vows and a renewal wedding band for our 50th anniversary where we were married - The Little Brown Church in the Vale in Nashua, Iowa. He's in Heaven now. Enjoy the day! Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Quote Originally Posted by Up North View Post
    I have decided that the golden years were when my Children were small and preschool age and my parents were healthy and we were all independent.
    Same for me. I remember moments when my kids were small when I just stopped and enjoyed the moment for all it was worth. Now I'm always worried about something; we are not lacking in challenges. I hope it can be that way again some day.
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

I'm think it will be when I walk the streets paved with gold. Every time of my life has had challenges and worries and I don't think any of my future time on earth will be without that. Still it's great to be healthy and loving life everyday.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I always thought it was when you didn't have to work any more and were in good health and could travel. Not golden for me since I became disable at the age of 50!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Golden day - any day you get up and read the paper and your obit is not there, is a day to treasure. My parents, my precious daughter and Dec. 1 my brother passed so they are all together in heaven. My husband has had 4 kinds of CA and is still here and while getting more feeble, is still doing OK.
    Best days, when my kids were little, and while we didn't have much money (daddy was in Army) and at times stressful, they were good. I think attitude a lot to do with it.
    Last edited by Carol34446; 01-22-2016 at 12:17 PM.

Blog Entries
    Golden years are whatever years are the best of your life. I am middle aged and these are my golden years-life is sew good!
    It's not a stash-it's a fabric library!
    http://www.mamisquilts.com/

Blog Entries
    I love your signature! I'm extremely cool LOL
    It's not a stash-it's a fabric library!
    http://www.mamisquilts.com/

Blog Entries
    My first golden years were when my DD's were little. We made a game of finding inexpensive road trip destinations every summer. Great times. Now I am in my second golden years, now that we have two "adopted for love" grand babies living with us. We can hardly wait for spring to start looking for adventures. One favorite is going to the local Dams to learn about how they work, and how they help the fish. Best of all most of the adventures don't cost much more than gas. We are within an hour and a half of snow, cities, or the Pacific Ocean, so it should be a blast.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Blog Entries
    My golden years were when my children were little and before my husband/their father deserted us. My parents were alive and there was so much love. I wish I could go back to that time.

I think my golden years have been most of my life for one reason all or the other. Since I have outlived my four siblings, still have my Husband, kids,Grandkids and Great Grandkids and no responsibilities except for my pets, now is about as golden as it gets. When I can retire and sleep late it will get even better.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I would say that my whole life as been my golden years. Had a very lean childhood. But I never missed a meal and never did not have a roof over my head and never lacked for hugs. I have been married for 54 years to my quilting enabler. My Mother passed this morning at age 94. She joined my Father who we lost 55 years ago. I realize how lucky and blessed I was to have had her for almost 74 years.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I am in my golden years....I need lots of gold to maintain myself.
    Exactly right! We work all our lives to be able to pay for the 'golden years.'
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    My husband died March 2, 2013 at the age of 77. We were married just shy of 53 years. The night before my mother died (which was July 25, 2013) my mother told the chaplain that she had company. She said "Norm and Roger". Norm was my dad who died in 1983 and Roger was my husband. The chaplain said she knew who Norm was but didn't know who Roger was and my mother told the chaplain. "He was my son in law." I was taken aback, needless to say, but how comforting to know that my father and my husband were there to greet her. That is a golden moment in my life. Yes I believe it truly. I also believe that my sister in law, coming out of surgery, was seen by my husband, two days after he died, and he told her she would be fine. She's fine!!!!!!!! Another golden moment. My life is one big old golden moment.

THE REMEMBERING STAR

Perhaps they are not the stars
    But rather openings in Heaven
    Where the love of our lost ones
    Pours through and shines down
    Upon us to let us know
    They are Happy. (Eskimo Legend)

"When you were born, the world rejoiced and you cried.
    Live your life in such a way that when you die
    The world cries and you rejoice."

If your mother was a quilter or seamstress, I am sure my mother has already greeted her. My mother taught me absolutely everything I know about quilting and along with the frustrations, she told me patience helps!!!!!

God Bless you, your family and her friends. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Quote Originally Posted by kyquiltlover1942 View Post
    I would say that my whole life as been my golden years. Had a very lean childhood. But I never missed a meal and never did not have a roof over my head and never lacked for hugs. I have been married for 54 years to my quilting enabler. My Mother passed this morning at age 94. She joined my Father who we lost 55 years ago. I realize how lucky and blessed I was to have had her for almost 74 years.
    My condolences on the loss of your mom. My mom lives with us and is 97. As stressful as that can be at times, we are blessed to still have her around.

My whole life has been all about plus & minus. To name just a few:

The minus growing up: I would have gladly traded my parents for any of a number of other parents and, at 72 years old, I feel just as strongly about that today. The plus: we had a nice home, good, nutritious, & plentiful food and adequate clothing.

The minus for the 1st 15 years of my marriage: barely enough money to get by.
    The plus (a BIG plus): I stayed home with little kids. I'd have to say that those were the best years of my life, so far.

The current plus: I'm retired (I hated working and especially hated the drive to & from work).
    The current minus: my husband is disabled and confined to a wheelchair.

I know people whose lives/lifestyle I could envy, but I don't, and I know of people whose lives are much, much worse than mine. I'm just content to get by with no new disasters.

Quote Originally Posted by kyquiltlover1942 View Post
    God be with you as HE is with your mother.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast