A Good Deed

Old 02-06-2011, 05:01 PM

Bless you all for doing this. It makes me crazy that each school doesn't have a fund for these things. How can anyone let a child sit there without a snack or worse yet, no lunch? And how can we, as a country, justify sending money all over the world when we have kids here going to bed hungry every night? Makes my blood boil.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:15 PM

I worked in a kidergarten room for 6 years as an aide. We always went to the zoo at the end of the school year. Several times the teacher and I would pay for the trip for students because they could afford it. Then her and I would make sure these kids were with us so we could make sure they got the extra things like ice cream, pop corn, feed for the animals. Then in the gift shop we would let them pick out something within reason. Once I had a little boy keep trying to find cheap things and asking if it was too expensive. I usually let them spend about $5.00. I'm sure his family didn't have the money and he was always told things were too expensive. Then I would write a little note on the outside of the bag to let the parents know that I had bought it so they wouldn't wonder where it came from.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by prezzy
We give money to people all over the world and our kids are hungry.
that may be true, but let's not forget that children in third world countries DIE from hunger, at the rate of thousands per day. I don't think children DIE from hunger in this country. I support international charities. I know charity begins at home but the world is my home, and all children are God's children.

Also remember that there are people who translate "20% of children living below the poverty level" into "20% of children going to bed hungry every night." Not necessarily true.

That being said, bless all of you for your good deeds - you reinforce my perception that QB folks are the nicest anywhere!
Old 02-06-2011, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by bjnicholson
Originally Posted by prezzy
We give money to people all over the world and our kids are hungry.
Amen. I've been thinking this same thing for a long time now.
It's why I don't give to charities I see too many children go without in my own country and charity begins, and ends as far as I am concerned, AT HOME.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Power Poster

The children of our Military should not want for a warm home nor any kind of food. I feel the least we can do is see this never happens. Afterall they are protecting our rights and freedoms.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
that is a very good, thanks for sharing this with all of us

also if you have clothes that you don't wear get them out of your closets and drawers, wash them up and give them to nursing homes, those people love clothes, purses, games etc.

Lets all help others out in need!
WoW!!! Crafty!! Sometimes it takes someone else to show you what is right in front of your nose. Why didn't I think of that long ago? And I have a mom in a nursing home.
I hate giving things to Goodwill because they sell them at such high prices anymore. I would much rather give the stuff away and we have a nursing home only a mile from us. I will definitely do that next time I clean my closet out. Thanks for the heads up!!! Duh....smacking myself for being so clueless!!!
Old 02-06-2011, 07:51 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by trisha
Originally Posted by craftybear
that is a very good, thanks for sharing this with all of us

also if you have clothes that you don't wear get them out of your closets and drawers, wash them up and give them to nursing homes, those people love clothes, purses, games etc.

Lets all help others out in need!
WoW!!! Crafty!! Sometimes it takes someone else to show you what is right in front of your nose. Why didn't I think of that long ago? And I have a mom in a nursing home.
I hate giving things to Goodwill because they sell them at such high prices anymore. I would much rather give the stuff away and we have a nursing home only a mile from us. I will definitely do that next time I clean my closet out. Thanks for the heads up!!! Duh....smacking myself for being so clueless!!!
I never thought about it either.. Good idea Craftybear..
Old 02-06-2011, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by redquilter
Bless you all for doing this. It makes me crazy that each school doesn't have a fund for these things. How can anyone let a child sit there without a snack or worse yet, no lunch? And how can we, as a country, justify sending money all over the world when we have kids here going to bed hungry every night? Makes my blood boil.
I have been saying this for years. All you have to do is go to the local soup kitchen to see how many hungry children there are right in our own country,,,with no help....but if they lived in another couontry our government would be right there.
I have always felt that if they did away with some things like,...going to the moon, space shuttles....things like that....more of our children could be clothed and fed.
But,,,,I won't get on my soapbox,,,you are all great for the help you are providing!!! God Bless You
Old 02-06-2011, 07:55 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Our elementary school has a 'dinner' every school nite for those who need a hot meal..
Old 02-06-2011, 08:10 PM

I think the USA should take better care of it's sons and daughters that protect us and better care of the families they leave behind. We need to really listen to the campain promises of the people we elect to office and vote against those who do not want to support the needs and rights of our service men and women.