Good Marriages

Old 03-29-2011, 06:26 PM

I've been married 41 years. I think for us we are both committed to being married for life. At times I've been so upset that I've wondered who signed me up for this!! (oh yeah, that was me).. but we are committed. I always put him first, he is the head of this home.. but he always gets my input and would never do something that I was not fully on board about. What that is, is respect. We love each other, think the best of each other, are committed to each other, and keep our marriage vows sacred. I'm in this for the long haul. No one is perfect, I can't expect that this man I married should be. We don't hold gruges, or bring up past offenses. We always look for the best and have a good time together as much as possible. He would do anything for me and I would do anything he asked me to do. Every day is a new day, start fresh and keep short accounts. Forgive quickly, speak less often and listen intently. Make the other person the most important one. and never never never air your dirty laundry in public (don't talk to anyone about what he does that bothers you).
Old 03-29-2011, 06:48 PM

in a few words; love, commitment and compromise. Remember love means not always wanting your own way and doesn't keep a record of wrongs. If both partners bring these three things to their marriage it should last a long time.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:15 PM

This is a great topic. Thank you for all of the advice.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:32 PM

My husband always tells the grooms, you can always have the last word....Yes dear!!!! It has worked for almost 45 years!!! LOL Oh yes, and lot's of laughs too!!
Old 03-29-2011, 07:37 PM
Power Poster

A good sense of humor is needed every day plus spending some time together. We both have our own interests, mine is quilting and he has several working on cars, bowling plus a few others - give and take is just so needed in any relationship.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:45 PM

Married 33 years. One rough spot at 9 years but we made it through. Laugh alot together. Have mutual long-term dreams and goals. Support each others hobbies (his hobby is guns and you can guess what mine is LOL). Present a united front when dealing with kids issues.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Judie
I've been married 41 years. I think for us we are both committed to being married for life. At times I've been so upset that I've wondered who signed me up for this!! (oh yeah, that was me).. but we are committed. I always put him first, he is the head of this home.. but he always gets my input and would never do something that I was not fully on board about. What that is, is respect. We love each other, think the best of each other, are committed to each other, and keep our marriage vows sacred. I'm in this for the long haul. No one is perfect, I can't expect that this man I married should be. We don't hold gruges, or bring up past offenses. We always look for the best and have a good time together as much as possible. He would do anything for me and I would do anything he asked me to do. Every day is a new day, start fresh and keep short accounts. Forgive quickly, speak less often and listen intently. Make the other person the most important one. and never never never air your dirty laundry in public (don't talk to anyone about what he does that bothers you).
So well said! Ditto all this, and then I would add,
Put God first-He should be the third Person in your marriage.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:24 PM

Don't sweat the small stuff! Kiss and make up! Do you REALLY want to win that argument?

He shows me all the time that I'm the only one for him, and that continues to surprise me - after nearly 50 years. We've always been each other's best friend. I wouldn't want to live with anyone else, and I certainly wouldn't want to have spent my life with anyone else! We share the same values, and family has always come first.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
Remember the golden rule, agree to disagree, hug a lot, laugh with each other often, say "I love you" and show it. Little things DO mean a lot, put each other first and marry your best friend or make the person you marry your best friend.......... :D
Couldn't say it better.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:29 AM

Remember your wedding vows. Do not write your own. Don't go to bed mad at each other. Its okay to disagree, but not in front of the kids. Tell each other that you love them every day. Grow together, and not apart. 54 yrs. and counting.