Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
The Good Wife's Guide, Circa 1955 >

The Good Wife's Guide, Circa 1955

The Good Wife's Guide, Circa 1955

Old 10-20-2011, 09:53 AM

Do you all remember 'The Stepford Wives' move. :lol:
Old 10-20-2011, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by fabrichore
I would not of made a good wife in the fifties....LOL
Same here!
and to clear up anyones thinking my Hubbys not caring. He cleans,vac's,washes dishes, leaves me love notes every where,buys me my fav opals 4 no reason at all. Also lets me feed my habit 'fabric'.
8-)
Old 10-20-2011, 10:43 AM

believe it or not, that is pretty much the way we were taught back then. Everything read was telling us how to be the perfect wife. For the first 20+ years, I tried so hard to be the perfect wife and mother, I ended with a nervous breakdown, and have been on anti-depressants for years. At the age of 40, my doctor told me to start putting myself and my wants first, he said if you don't want to clean the house, don't, if you want to read all day, do it. It was funny the first week I tried that. I managed not to clean or pick up anything all day, but the closer it got to his time to be home, the more nervous I got( he would not have said anything to me, it was just "me") I "flew " through the house to get it done before he got home. Now go forward to age 72. My hubby does it all , for me. He will clean, do laundry,grocery shops, does all the cooking, and I finally let myself do "just what I want , for me". We have a happy relationship, love each other probably even more now than we did 56 years ago. A very contented home with each other. PS.. I didn't teach my daughter the 50's way, nor my 3 sons!!
Old 10-20-2011, 11:14 AM

Man...I need a "Good Wife". Where can I get one? LOL
Old 10-20-2011, 11:33 AM

i agee with candela59 both husband and wife should help and support each other. some parts off the good wifes guide are realy good advise. we should try to make our homes comfortable i think when both partners try to do whats best for each other and the family that is the best and makes each person happyer than if you were just living for your self. there were unreal expectations of wives back then but we are far to selfish and unthankful as a sociaty today. maybe we could find a happy medium.
Originally Posted by Candela59
LMAO! I almost spit a mouthful of tea all over my monitor! Where's the Good Husband Guide?

That said I must admit that I do my best to make sure "OUR" home is a peaceful and restful place for the "BOTH" of us...our sanctuary!

I'm a homemaker and I appreciate how hard DH works and do everything I can when he comes home to make him feel welcome and comfortable...but he does the same for me! We're equal partners in this relationship and we "BOTH" have full time jobs!

No wonder women were sooooo frustrated...geez!