Goodbye Wedding Dress

Old 11-16-2011, 08:22 PM

That's a great idea, and I'm glad you're posting pictures as you progress. I'm going to watch to see if I can steal any ideas from you. I still have my bridesmaid dress from my brother's wedding. Of course, the bride told us, "You can definitely wear this again somewhere else." But, of course it's still sitting in my closet. I was thinking to make something from it for their 5 year anniversary.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:32 PM

Its going to be gorgous! One of the best uses I 've heard of . I can't wait to see it .
Old 11-17-2011, 01:06 AM

what a great idea.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:41 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Love this idea !! its one of those why didn't I think of it ?? Gosh !! I have taken the satin & the lace to make pillows but never thought of the bodice as pillows .. Derrrrrr.. LOL
Old 11-17-2011, 06:45 AM

I did this for my DD's best friend. Well I cut it up and made a quilt. She knew her kids wouldn't want it and she has pictures. I still have peices of the dress that one day I will get around to making ring pillows out of for her children. I have no clue what my DD did with her dress .
Old 11-17-2011, 06:46 AM

Great idea. I have my dress now for 34 years. A christening dress for baby would be wonderful. Just waiting for those grand kids to arrive....lol.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:03 AM

My daughter's wedding dress became baptismal outfits for her three children. It's a bit scary cutting into an expensive dress like that, but the outfits turned out great. They will be saved as an heirloom for her grandchildren.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:37 AM

I had bridal teddy bears made from my wedding dress. A great heirloom to pass on.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:33 AM

Default Wedding Dress continued

I got started on the skirt last night and didn't stop to take pics but I can tell you what I did, it's not hard. I sewed the front and back parts of the skirt together, leaving open one side that had enough space without beads.

In the first pic: I cut a 6 inch wide strip by 30 inches long, for the tab. I ironed some fusible interfacing on it and folded it over, sewed both of the short ends closed, ironed it and sewed the long edge to one side of the skirt opening, right sides together. I folded over a 3 inch facing on the opposite sided, interfaced it too. I then sewed the narrow interfacing strip. that was on the original hem all around the hem, this gives it body at the hem. Now the top of the skirt is done so far.

I cut the linings to match the skirt lenght, plus 1 inch and sewed them together, front and back (I had ripped the front from the back on both lining and skirt, for ease in cutting the lenght). I layed the lining on top of the skirt, right sides together, and sewed down the tab side and the opposite folded over facing side.

I then flipped the lining over the skirt and positioned the lining all around the hem. I started to turn under and pin it all around the skirt and matching etc. I then sewed the the hem on the machine, taking about a 1/2 inch seam allowance and catching in the lining as I sewed.

Now all that's left is to gather the waist (which is too big) and put a binding on it and I will do that now and it's done.
Attached Thumbnails dsc00051.jpg   dsc00052.jpg   dsc00053.jpg   dsc00054.jpg   dsc00055.jpg  

dsc00056.jpg   dsc00057.jpg  
Old 11-17-2011, 11:41 AM

I was married in 1967 and still have my wedding dress. It's very sentimental to me since my mother made it. However, knowing I will never wear it again, my three daughters had their own wedding dresses and I can't imagine any of my graddaughters wanting to wear it, I've come up with a plan. I have six grandchildren and I plan to cut up the dress and make six ring bearer pillows for their weddings. This way my mother's handiwork will still be appreciated and a part of me will be used in their weddings.