Google Wallet?

Old 01-26-2014, 02:54 PM

Default Google Wallet?

I have an item, located in Ohio, that I want to purchase for several thousands of dollars, but the owner in Ohio wants me to go through Google Wallet. I know absolutely nothing about Google Wallet. Does anyone here know how to purchase something using Google Wallet. Has anyone used Google Wallet? If I get the item and am not happy with it is it possible for to get my money back? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:57 PM

I heard of it, but have used it.

I wonder if it is like paypal?
Old 01-26-2014, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

Is it a car, by any chance? I did find this thread:
http://productforums.google.com/foru...5B1-25-true%5D

After some more Googling, I found a lot of car scams using Google Wallet, e.g.:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2041538AAHemi8
Old 01-26-2014, 03:25 PM
Power Poster

If a seller wants you to pay using a method you don't know anything about, don't buy it. It's not worth the chance. Be very careful paying thousands of dollars for an item you are trusting to be what you think it is if you cannot see it in person. On another board I visit, a poster bought a RV from Craig List and sent the money through a clearing house, the RV never arrived and her money was long gone. No way to trace the name or transfer. Just don't do it. Buy the thousands of dollars item local, it will be the better deal in the long run.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
If a seller wants you to pay using a method you don't know anything about, don't buy it. It's not worth the chance. Be very careful paying thousands of dollars for an item you are trusting to be what you think it is if you cannot see it in person. On another board I visit, a poster bought a RV from Craig List and sent the money through a clearing house, the RV never arrived and her money was long gone. No way to trace the name or transfer. Just don't do it. Buy the thousands of dollars item local, it will be the better deal in the long run.
I agree. Do it on your term using PayPal. Then your protected.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:28 AM

Google wallet is Google's answer to electronic payment. It started out as an app to use with a smart phone and interacted with the fast pay receivers that you often see at gas stations and some fast food restaurants where you could pass your phone/tap your phone in front of the receiver and it would pay for the item you were purchasing. It eliminated the need to swipe a debit or credit card. Google has now added the electronic fund transfer capability if you have a g-mail account. I personally have never used it and believe that you need a Google account and the app to be able to use it. There are protections and anti-fraud things in place but with anything you have to know and trust the seller when making a purchase. I know people that have used it by transferring money between gmail accounts. For example, if I owed someone some money I could send it to them using my gmail account or if I was out to eat with someone and we wanted to split the bill but they wanted to charge it I could let them charge the entire bill and then send my portion to them directly using my gmal and Google Wallet.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
Google wallet is Google's answer to electronic payment. It started out as an app to use with a smart phone and interacted with the fast pay receivers that you often see at gas stations and some fast food restaurants where you could pass your phone/tap your phone in front of the receiver and it would pay for the item you were purchasing. It eliminated the need to swipe a debit or credit card. Google has now added the electronic fund transfer capability if you have a g-mail account. I personally have never used it and believe that you need a Google account and the app to be able to use it. There are protections and anti-fraud things in place but with anything you have to know and trust the seller when making a purchase. I know people that have used it by transferring money between gmail accounts. For example, if I owed someone some money I could send it to them using my gmail account or if I was out to eat with someone and we wanted to split the bill but they wanted to charge it I could let them charge the entire bill and then send my portion to them directly using my gmal and Google Wallet.
Thanks for the explanation. I had not heard of it.

I think I would be leary of buying something for thousands without seeing it first. That's just me.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:18 AM

This sounds like a recent scam where the seller wants you to buy through Google Wallet and they will ship the article to you. They claim if you are not satisfied they will refund your money. The forms they send you look exactly like they come from Google - but they do not! Do not be taken in! These folks are from overseas. I answered an add for an item which was supposedly "in storage" in a small town in Ohio. I offered to pick it up (because I had been warned this was a scam) and the seller stopped communicating with me. I have seen sewing machines, a conversion van, and cars offered this way. There was a big story on a local news program last week where a young girl lost $2500 on a car - she sent the money (because it was such a good buy) and paid through Google Wallet but never received the car. The website she went through was no longer available.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

I would look for a better deal closer to you within driving distance where you can go pick it up. Doesn't matter what it is. Or if you have any friends/acquaintances that can go check it out for you.
DH was interested in an item in Ohio just about 50 miles from his nephew. When he asked the locale so nephew could check it out, he never heard from the guy again. It was a person who wanted to Google Wallet. Same thing has happened with Paypal also.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
If a seller wants you to pay using a method you don't know anything about, don't buy it. It's not worth the chance. Be very careful paying thousands of dollars for an item you are trusting to be what you think it is if you cannot see it in person. Just don't do it. Buy the thousands of dollars item local, it will be the better deal in the long run.
I whole-heartedly agree!!!