Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Got 37 years instead of 20!!!! >

Got 37 years instead of 20!!!!

Got 37 years instead of 20!!!!

Old 09-25-2011, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by smitty
Originally Posted by shnnn
I don't think there is a perfect solution for everyone - but I was only 29 when I had my bridge replaced - if I assume the tooth will last 15 years that's a lot of removing/reinserting implants! My husband is at the point of wanting all his teeth pulled and dentures (at 32), and after my last experience with the dentist I'm not too far behind. It's not that the dentist was rough on me at all, but having a crown on a tooth with no root canal is the most painful thing I've ever experienced! Lesson of the year - even if you think you like the dentist you're seeing - check with someone who's been seeing them for many years. All of the dental work we are having done now is repairing what our last dentist did - hubby has about $8000 worth of repairs that need done, and mine is around $4000.
Implants are not removed or reinserted. they are permanent
teeth. DH has had some for 15 yrs. but find a dentist who has
done a lot of them & keeps up on the latest dental education.
Implants are VERY expensive ! I would only choose them if
there is not choice. I have 3 in places that my crowns just
could not be replaced. figure #3,000-$3500 per tooth !
forgot to add how long an implant takes---with bone grafts, healing, etc. figure a year or more.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:38 PM

I don't think there is a perfect solution for everyone - but I was only 29 when I had my bridge replaced - if I assume the tooth will last 15 years that's a lot of removing/reinserting implants! My husband is at the point of wanting all his teeth pulled and dentures (at 32), and after my last experience with the dentist I'm not too far behind. It's not that the dentist was rough on me at all, but having a crown on a tooth with no root canal is the most painful thing I've ever experienced! Lesson of the year - even if you think you like the dentist you're seeing - check with someone who's been seeing them for many years. All of the dental work we are having done now is repairing what our last dentist did - hubby has about $8000 worth of repairs that need done, and mine is around $4000.
forgot to add how long an implant takes---with bone grafts, healing, etc. figure a year or more.
My bridge cost me $2000 and my insurance $1500. And I had a marilyn bridge done, much less expensive than the more traditional kind -- I was quoted a price of $6000 total for that! I don't have any crowns for my "permanent" bridge - instead it's attached to the back of the two teeth on either side. I have issues with paying for someone to grind down and cap two perfectly good teeth when there are other options, but finding a dentist to do it wasn't easy. I was told the teeth used in implants were the same teeth that was in my bridge, and at the time my tooth was in 2 seperate pieces. If at $3000-$3500 it truely is a permanent option, it's a bargain. I was told my bridge was lucky to last more than 5 years (as they are chipping it out of my head with a hammer!)
Old 09-25-2011, 07:13 PM
Power Poster

One of the reasons I did not opt for a bridge was because of the stress it puts on the other teeth. Many of my teeth are already weakened from root canals and crowns.

Our dental insurance will not cover my next implant, but we have medical reimbursement that will help (pre-tax dollars). Dental insurance did cover much of the bone graft that had to be done this year after the extraction.

My single tooth implant will cost about $4,000 when I have it done next year. That will be for both the post and the crown. (The crown alone is about $1600 of that. Dental insurance would normally cover half the cost of the crown, but not if it's an implant.)
Old 09-25-2011, 10:15 PM

Way back in the 1970s, I had periodontal disease and my teeth were beginning to loosen. One dentist pulled a front abscessed tooth and put in a partial... not good. Switched dentists and had some work done (oral surgery) that helped. Was told I was not a good candidate for dentures since my jaw was narrow and would not hold the denture in place very well. So!!! I had permanent front bridges both upper and lower in 1978. The dentist told me they would last about six years at most. I still have them and they are working fine. I also have some molar crowns and five implants, since dentures don't sound like a good idea for me. They are expensive, and we have no dental insurance, but usually insurance won't pay for implants as they are considered "cosmetic". So far,I have had no problem with them, cannot tell them from my natural teeth, except they look better and do not hurt. I think I was fortunate in finding a good doctor who knew what he was doing. He never hurt me, was gentle and always called me that evening to see how I was feeling after surgery. He had to do bone grafting before the implants because of my former problem. If you can possibly afford it, find yourself a good doctor and try the implants. I realize they may not work for all, but I sure like the idea I am 78 years old and still brushing my teeth, using a water-pick and floss and have no toothaches.(This is called "putting your money where your mouth is".) My sister who is younger, has dentures that won't stay put and she can hardly stand them, or eat well. Thank God mine work.I pray yours will work out well for you and you have good luck with them. Blessings, Roberta
Old 09-25-2011, 11:32 PM

Thankfully you don't have open nerves hurting you til you can get to the dentist.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Pzazz
When I had most of the teeth crowned, I was told I would be lucky to get 20 years out of them. Well...last night it happened...after 37 years, I lost one. The tooth sheared off at the gum-line. And I was only eating salmon!!! LOL Guess I'll have to wait for Monday to find out what the next step is...do they put in an implant? will they just pull out the root and let me live with a hole? I am scheduled to have an implant on the other side, so maybe this spot will also be a candidate for one. On the plus side...this tooth had a root canal done before the crown went on, so it isn't bothering me...other than feeling funny to have a big space there. :?

The dentist may put a new post in the root and then build up and crown. Make sure you find out the cost for this combination and compare it against another implant. I just got 2 implants but have to wait till the bone grows around them to get my crowns. The price is almost unbelieveable.

Patti
Old 10-14-2011, 03:02 PM

Well, I guess I got off easy then! My 2 implants + crowns were $3200. I still have 6 to go. My big fear is to be in a nursing home and have no teeth. My dad spent 6 years in a NH and his lower plate got lost. We found it and then the top went missing. Then the bottom again and we never found them. The laundress came up to the dining room one afternoon with a sack full of dentures that she had found in bedding. Unfortunately his were not among them. I have told my kids that I do not want any of them worrying about caring for me when I can't do it for myself, just put me in a home. But I did assign one of them to see that my teeth are cared for. I finally broke down and had this last work done. The dentist guaranteed it for 20 years in wrighting that if I didn't like what he is doing to my teeth right now that he will replace them with whatever I want free of charge. When people are in nursing homes the only bright spots in their world is meal time and visitors. And Lord knows I love to eat!!!