Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grammar police - you'll love this video!

Blog Entries

Exclamation Grammar police - you'll love this video!

That is so cute. I love the music!

cute, cute. Barb
    be happy

Love it!!!!! :d
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

That was hilarious.
    ~Sharon

That's hilarious! I need to send it to my daughter,whose 18. We call her the grammar Nazi. She hates it when people don't speak correctly.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=mike'sgirl;6803080]That's hilarious! I need to send it to my daughter,whose 18. We call her the grammar Nazi. She hates it when people don't speak correctly.[/QUOTe

SOMEBODY BROUGHT THEIR CHILD UP RIGHT AND TO SPEAK CORRECTLY. I TOTALLY COMMEND YOU. My mother did the same with her three daughters and now we are in our 60-70's and we, once in a while, mess up the King's English. We get on each other about speaking correctly. I did the same with our son and grandchildren.

I could go on a tirade here - I hate the BYOB, BOGO, sorry here, quilting lingo, WIP, DH, DD, DGD ad infinitum. I just think - have we gotten so lazy that we cannot even spell out a word or have we become so stupid that we cannot spell the word. Thank God, in my day we had Spelling Bees, Spell-Downs. Because of that I learned how to spell and speak correctly. If you can't spell correctly, you cannot speak correctly.

Thank you for letting me vent my spleen! I am one of the people in this world that will go into a store if I see a misspelled word in the window or an ad and tell them they spelled the word wrong. It, generally, is corrected.

Hav a gd day!!!!! Only kidding!!!!! Make it a good day! Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

That is sooooo cute! Thanks for getting my day off with a BANG! It is soooo said nowadays that kids can not spell….. and those symbols used, wow...
    ~ I'm a Blessed Nanna to 2 Grandsons & 5 Granddaughters & 1 grandson in law ~
    ~ I'm a Blessed Mom to DS & DDIL, DD & DSIL ~
    ~ Mom to 1 black beauty now ~ Daisy ~
    ~ God Bless the USA ~ God Bless Our Troops ~

I meant sooooo SAD….
    I will surely forward this. I hate it too when I see a word misspelled at a business!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ljptexas View Post
    That is sooooo cute! Thanks for getting my day off with a BANG! It is soooo said nowadays that kids can not spell….. and those symbols used, wow...
    ~ I'm a Blessed Nanna to 2 Grandsons & 5 Granddaughters & 1 grandson in law ~
    ~ I'm a Blessed Mom to DS & DDIL, DD & DSIL ~
    ~ Mom to 1 black beauty now ~ Daisy ~
    ~ God Bless the USA ~ God Bless Our Troops ~

I found a mistake on t shirts our church was selling. It was a spelling error and no one caught it, pastors included.I felt bad ,why, because they made a big deal that no one else said anything. I`m not the greatest speller but you would have thought all the bible scholars would have. I try and spell everything in text ,takes me forever.lol

I have been hearing about this on the radio. As university instructor I spend far too much time on basic grammar correction but my job is to educate. I guess that my English major is now paying off. (And yes, I know I ended the last sentence with a preposition.) Perhaps Weird Al can get the point across to some of my students.

That was great, I sent it to my daughter. It would be wasted on my son...
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

Blog Entries
    Yep. Cute. I for one would be thrilled if only people would learn the difference between selvage and salvage
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Blog Entries
    Speaking of businesses with misspellings (this is a semi-local car dealer's ad van):

Name:  autoworld.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  62.6 KB

I love it, thank you so much for sharing this with us.

Oh, I'm so happy that some people care about grammar. We were just talking about that very subject at our church quilting yesterday. I don't mind the extra time it takes to type a word and have it spelled correctly. It shows that you aren't a moron. Young people just can't spell in today's world and now I hear they are not being taught to write "cursive." They can only read printing. Oh dear Lord, please help us!!!!

So cute! sent it to my English PhD daughter who will love it. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    I am a pretty good speller, but a lousy typist. I get to typing so fast that I transpose numbers and letters as I type, you know you have a problem when you type a word so badly, that spellcheck says "I got nothing for this." Lol!
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I definitely like Grammar and Weird Al. Thanks, it was funny. DH and I saw him live last year. He is great.

Blog Entries
    Loved it! Thanks for sharing. Sadly for us, foreigners have a better understanding of the English language than some of us. The music reminds me of Jimmy Fallon - what a hunk!

This English teacher loved the video. I have to agree with Edie. Two of my pet peeves are misusing superlatives such as it's more fast to . . . and dropping a syllable such as vet-ran for vet-er-an. Don't even get me started on adding ility or ality to words that don't need them. If I hear the word "uber" one more time, I think I'll scream. The people one think should know better don't seem to. Newscasters come to mind.

They teach so little grammar anymore and forget spelling....that's what spell check is for! That is the mentality in our district! Several years back one of the assistant principals at our middle school threw out all spelling books. A few of us did some dumpster diving because they were great for increasing vocabulary as well. (I guess she was an example of being promoted to her highest level of incompetence!) She also dumped one of the best math programs the ESE department ever used. Enough of my ranting, I am just fed up with the waste and.........

Loved the video, but it was much too fast to actually learn something from it. The best thing I heard there was about diagramming sentences. If kids were taught that, they wouldn't say. "Give it to Frank and I." You wouldn't say "Give it to I", and it doesn't change with the "and" in it. The same goes for "or". Is this for Jerry or I? No! - Is this for I? - Is this for Jerry or me? I find this misused by editors in newspapers in their personal columns. And their proofreaders don't know any better.
    Another one I hear often is: "Her and her mother went shopping." Her didn't go shopping. She did.
    Let's cut this off here. I could go on and on. I'm so happy when I find other like minded people.
    Last edited by maviskw; 07-17-2014 at 05:43 AM.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    I agree-it's fast. I have had to watch it several times to see more of it. If anyone doesn't know it's the tune of a song called Blurred Lines that has been quite controversial. Especially the original video (which has nudity in it).

Blog Entries
    I love this video.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast