Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: grandparents

Grandma and Grandpa for sure.................

I'm called CheeChee and DH is called PawPaw. Even the neighbor kids call us this
    Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

My mom and step-dad couldn't wait to be called Grandma and Grandpa. That's how we taught the kids. But like others have said....kids put their own spin on it. My son ended up with Grammers and Grampers, and my daughter (much to the chagrin of my very young mother), called them Granny and Grandpa.

I came from a Polish heritage therefore it was busha and dzadza.....not sure about that spelling. Married into a Sicilian family so my dds called gp Nani and pa...my parents were both dead......then when my dd married and had children, I was the Nani and dh was Grumpa.......now to my ggd, I am still Nani.......

My Maternal Grandparents were "Bestefar and Bestemor". (Scandinavian) My Grandchildren had loads of Grandparents and Great Grandparents, so they said "Grandma Mary" and "Grandpa John" etc. one exception was their Great-Great Grandma. She was "Granny" but that's what everyone in town called her, so it came naturally.

Forgot to mention in my original post - when my granddaughter was learning to talk, we were meemaw and peepaw.
    My cousin and her husband are memere and pepere - when her grandson was learning to talk, he couldn't say pepere, so he is Popeye (as in the sailor man)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    Only one Grandma, that is what we called her a few times we saw her.

My Grands call us Gramma & Grampa. Great Grands call us GGma and GGpa.
    Same for us.DH had a Grpa,but he died young.
    Pat

Maternal- Granny and Granddaddy
    Paternal- Grandmother **** and Grandfather*****
    We are called Nona and Papa.

I am grandma and my hubby is grandpa but now we have a great grandbaby so I am thinking to be called Ggrandma or GrandmaG as I have a grandson that just turned a year old and they are only 10 months apart. all the other call me grandma. Hibby is grandpa but I am thinking the same with him as the two are so close in age they will not call us much different

I didn't want to be called grandma S***** because that was my MIL's name, so I had my grandkids call me gramajo. My DGD couldn't say it so she called me JOJO for awhile. My daughters called my parents and in-laws Grandma and Grandpa followed by last names. Same thing for my grandmothers--grandfathers were gone before I was born. My SIL called my father Gramps. I was surprised Dad tolerated it, but he and SIL got along well.

Oops, I already answered this on the first page. I didn't see my reply so answered again on the second page.
    Last edited by gramajo; 03-21-2017 at 02:02 PM.

I only knew one of my grands...I called her Nanny. My former GM-in-law was Grandma Jennie.

My only grand calls me Grandma and my husband is Matty.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Well my grandmother was very vain and we were not allowed to call her anything but Georgia, her name. I think of it now and still I don't understand why.
    Sandra

I called my grandparents 'Grandma" and "Grandpa". My grandkids call me Grandma. I refer to them as 'the Grands" or just 'Granders' when I talk about them.

I really didn't see my grandparents on either side of the family very much. Dad's parents were deceased before I was born. He grew up in a foster home (when foster home meant a bed, some food and a lot of work). but was lucky to be in a loving Foster home. He adored his foster parents; his foster mother was alive for most of my childhood, we just MN, we lived in NJ, so not too much interaction there. It was always Grandma and Grandpa for both sets of grandparents.

All my kids called my Mom "Grammy"; my dad was deceased by the time my kids were born. Two of the kids from my first marriage used Grandma and Grandpa for their paternal grandparents, but after a while, their paternal grandparents lost interest. DH and I have a child together, my mom was Grammy to her, as well. DHs parents were Grandma and Grandpa to all the kids.

I have to say that having blended families makes this kind of thing take more time than it should!

Oh, yeah. Our grandkids call us "Oma" and"Pop-PoP". Best names we've ever been called, best job ever. Trained for it my whole life!
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

When referring to our grandparents to anyone else, we called them 'Farm Granny and Grandpa' (lived on a farm ) and 'Town Granny and Grandpa' (lived in town ) to differentiate but when talking to them we just called them Granny and Grandpa. My Italian Great Grandmother was called Nonna.

They have all passed on but if I could have my time with them over again, I would spend a LOT more time talking to them about their families and how they grew up. So much interesting family history to gain if we just sat and listened to their stories.
    Rainy days heal the heart so that sunny days can make us smile!

No grandparents but my boys, for different reasons, call me Nemaw, Mimi, or Nina..It's nice because I always know who is calling me! lol
    Kitty

I am German so my kids call my parents Oma and Opa; my husband's parents are grandma and grandpa. Weirdly, they call me Mom and my husband Papa which is the German version of dad

I called her Grandma and my DGC call me Grandma.

My paternal g'parents were Grandma and Grandpa.

My mom's dad was Grandpa and his first wife was Granny (her choice to change it from Grandma later in life , and we didn't like the change, but we had to respect it). Second wife was Grandma Mayme.

My husband's parents were known as PopPop and Grandmom. His own g'parents were Poppy and Bushie (Polish nickname for grandmother) .

My parents are Pappaw (our son, their first grandchild, couldn't pronounce Grandpa so he said Pappaw and it stuck ) My mom chose to be called Ima ("ee-muh", Hebrew name for mother) .

We are not grandparents yet (praying, hoping) and I've spent a little too much time dreaming about what they'll call me.

I hope they DON"T do as my nieces did. They referred to their two grandmas as Cookie Grandma and Pretty Grandma.

My beloved maternal grandmother was "Granny". She, along with her mother, my sweet "Mammaw", taught me to sew. My maternal grandfather was "Papaw" or "Pop". He was a tall, stern-looking man who had a heart of gold underneath! I miss all three of them very much.

My paternal grandparents were "Mammaw" and "Papaw", but there was some sort of disagreement with my parents when I was about 5 years old, and they broke off all contact with us, even me and my sister, who was an infant at the time. I didn't really know them, but from what little I remember, maybe it's just as well.

DH and I don't have children, but my sister's son (my nephew) calls my mother "Nanny", and my father "Papaw". My mother-in-law is "Granny".
    Have a wonderful day! If you need to contact me, please use the e-mail address on my profile page. Sometimes I don't get notifications that I have a PM here. Please note that I'm usually unavailable on weekends, but I'll get back to you on Monday.

We are called:
    Grampa, Gramma
    Papa, Nana
    G-pa, G-ma
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra-P View Post
    Well my grandmother was very vain and we were not allowed to call her anything but Georgia, her name. I think of it now and still I don't understand why.
    She missed out on a lot with that attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by redstilettos View Post
    She missed out on a lot with that attitude.
    So kind of you to say. She was mean. All 4 ft 10 inches of her. I was not her favorite at all. My older brother and sister by a different father were. All throughout my childhood years I could never understand until I got older. When she died in 2005 I was the one offering plane tickets to my mother to be with her and she didn't take me up on it. I was the one and only one calling talking to the Hospice nurse asking her to please keep her out of pain and discomfort. I look at my grandson, my one and only one and cant believe she would treat me like she did. My other grandmother died before I was born so Georgia was it.
    Sandra

Blog Entries
    My grandfather on Dad's side was Grandpa, and on Mom's side, he was Grandad! Guess I don't know about the Grandmothers - my Mom's Mom passed when I was 3 or so, so Dad's Mom was Grandma to me. Now MY grandchildren have had a bunch of Grandmothers, so they call me Grandma Joy to keep it straight! I loved my grandparents, and never objected to being called Grandma, but I know lots who don't want that moniker. I like to keep it simple and call it like it is!
    KEEP CALM and CARRY ON!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicki1212 View Post
    They have all passed on but if I could have my time with them over again, I would spend a LOT more time talking to them about their families and how they grew up. So much interesting family history to gain if we just sat and listened to their stories.
    Isn't that the truth!!! Now I have time, interest and perspective, and would so like to quiz the heck out of all of them about their lives!! Even my Mom never told us very much about her young self. Dad gabbed a little more about his youthful adventures, but I would love to quiz them too!!
    KEEP CALM and CARRY ON!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast