A great party

Old 09-01-2010, 01:04 PM

went to a great party last weekend for my neighbor's mum - her 89 1/2 birthday (born in Feb. but wanted an outdoor party - we are in Vermont).
Invite said "no gifts", so I was surprised to see piles of presents, wrapped, on tables inside. The birthday gal explained, she was downsizing, getting rid of things around the house, and giving the presents to her guests. She had them coded for guys or gals.
I got a lovely china cup and saucer set, DH got 2 bars of white chocolate, which he loves.
What a great idea! I said, I hope you had some help wrapping them (there were a LOT) and she said, no, she did it all herself. She was a very neat lady - hope I am like her when I get to be 89 1/2!!

The other cool thing was, her son made root beer. Maybe some of you have heard of this, it was new to me. Small bottle of extract, name was "Big H" I think. Water, sugar, 5 gal. bucket.

Then 4 pounds of dry ice pellets, added a scoop at a time while stirring (2 person job), made carbonation and cooled it down at the same time. And of course the fog coming out like a witches' brew. This would be a great idea for a Halloween party. It was really good.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:11 PM

Great party, I'm sure!! My mom will turn 86 this month, and she's still on the go constantly. But I don't think she'll be giving her stuff away any time soon...she expects to live to 100!!

I like that recipe for root beer. Have to try it!!
Old 09-01-2010, 01:16 PM

I'm only 54 and I'm getting rid of stuff! If you have ever dealt with an "estate" it gives you a different perspective on all the "stuff" we accumulate.
I would rather give it to someone who likes it and can use it, NOW, than have my relatives throw it out when I am gone.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

What a neat and clever way to get rid of things and no fighting ---everyone gets a surprise :lol:
Old 09-01-2010, 01:27 PM

What a neat idea! Wonder if I could talk DH into doing that with his stuff. Hmmmmmmmmmm.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:37 PM

I bet he would say "you go first" ;-)
Old 09-01-2010, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
What a neat and clever way to get rid of things and no fighting ---everyone gets a surprise :lol:
I have told my kids if they give me tchotchkes that the thchotchkes had better be something they like because all those things will be returning to their homes someday. Every year at Christmas I haul out picture albums and let the kids go through and take what they want. Last year I made up boxes of all their old report cards, school pictures, etc. and gave them to them for Christmas. It was so funny to watch them reflecting on things they had forgotten about. Easier to get rid of it now than them having to deal with it with a heavy heart.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:18 PM

A few years back we went to the 90th bday party of DH's aunt. Much more typical affair (no root beer).
I got her a little gold angel pin, in a card. We were going with BIL and SIL who are BIG on presents. SIL was wrapping big present when we got to their house and informed us "This is from all of us" meaning her, BIL, DH and Me as well as SIL who was not there.
It was a carousel horse on a pedestal, about 18" tall. Just another dust collector.
Really, is that what a 90 y.o. woman needs?

Haven't we all read many,many times in Dear Abby what makes a thoughtful gift for an elderly person?? And tchotchkes ain't it.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
A few years back we went to the 90th bday party of DH's aunt. Much more typical affair (no root beer).
I got her a little gold angel pin, in a card. We were going with BIL and SIL who are BIG on presents. SIL was wrapping big present when we got to their house and informed us "This is from all of us" meaning her, BIL, DH and Me as well as SIL who was not there.
It was a carousel horse on a pedestal, about 18" tall. Just another dust collector.
Really, is that what a 90 y.o. woman needs?

Haven't we all read many,many times in Dear Abby what makes a thoughtful gift for an elderly person?? And tchotchkes ain't it.
Agree!! And now every year in midsummer I tell my kids what they can get me for Christmas. There are 4 families so last year I asked for a Plasma TV that could hang on the wall in my bedroom(my only TV). They got me a 42" and even hung it for me. One year they gave me a digital camera. This year I asked for a photo of all my 6 grandchildren together. Don't know if that is coming or not.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:27 PM

Agree!! And now every year in midsummer I tell my kids what they can get me for Christmas. There are 4 families so last year I asked for a Plasma TV that could hang on the wall in my bedroom(my only TV). They got me a 42" and even hung it for me. One year they gave me a digital camera. This year I asked for a photo of all my 6 grandchildren together. Don't know if that is coming or not.[/quote]

I have tried that but it has seldom worked!!! I will try again this year! I need a new large size cutting mat. At this point in my life for the most part if I want or need something, I buy it myself. I hate getting unusable gifts!