Groundhog

Old 05-12-2012, 10:45 AM

they cant tell me animals dont think.My Poo-Chie was only 9 weeks old when I saw her figure out how to get from the bed to me where i was sitting in my office chair doing some quilting. she first tried putting her front paws on the quilt frame but that left hind legs on bedside and left her hanging as she was too far away to risk jumping from bedside to quilt frame. she retreated and sat there for a few minutes looking around. then she ran to the end of bed where I had left a box of pretzels i had been nibbling . She used her nose to push the box into position at the side of the bed and started to push if off. Since the open box was coming first i was afraid she would dump pretzels all over,I reached out my hand to catch the box. the minute my hand was under the box to support it, she jumped on the box and scurried across to the quilting frame and of course to me. My son was lying on the bed and was amazed. "if I hadnt seen it with my own eyes, I'd have never believed it" was his reaction.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:49 AM

Thanks for sharing, I love this story, it made my day.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:43 AM

Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:30 PM

My ground hog (wild) was so cute, with her mouth full of new cut grass. We didn`t know where she was headed. O.K. we found out later when it got cold and snowy out. And then came spring.!! She had made her home under our wrap-a-round porch. Must have been nice to have a warm furnace pipe to sleep by. So sad to say, for some reason she passed away near the furnace pipe and did we have a sticking mess to live in for months. Yes she had an openning to come and go, but we were told a ground hog wants 2 openings, one to go in and one to go out. she must have planned on making an other one but couldn`t get it done.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:12 PM

When we lived in the city of North Little Rock, AR, we had a mother ground hog and her two little ones living under our storage building. We could sit on our deck about 15 ft. off the ground and watch them eat the young grass shoots and they loved my husbands tomatoes. He finnally built a mesh fence around his veges. We lived close to a huge, wooded city park and saw more wild life in our yard than we ever saw out camping.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:24 AM

Thank you for this sweet story . We live in the country and enjoy the groundhogs, chipmunks. birds etc. and our domestic animals. Lots of entertaining things they give us.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:05 PM

I thought they were cute when they ate grass and dandelions, but when they ate all my tulips, I stopped liking them. My husband has tried to get rid of them for YEARS. Fortunately, they don't eat narcissis or daffodils, but I really miss the color of all the tulips I used to have.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:24 PM

That is so great that you saw her doing that and you shared with us. I have never seen a groundhog except on TV! How fortunate for you. Thanks for posting.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:52 PM

They also eat holly hocks and broccoli. Fences don't stop them. I've seen them climb trees for mulberries.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:10 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

I just found out two nights ago who it is that lives under my shed! Yes, it is a groundhog. Probably a pretty happy one, because he/she has about four or five entrance holes.

Any garden damage, I have chalked up to the deer, because things tend to be munched at least 12" off the ground.

Do you think this groundhog would be responsible for the holes in my lawn, probably about 100' away from the shed? We had an ancient - and huge - cottonwood poplar tree which we had taken down quite a number of years ago. And the roots are still rotting out, and where they were the lawn is just chock full of holes. But I never see the critter(s) who have done the excavating.