Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Growing Herbs--What Do You Do? >

Growing Herbs--What Do You Do?

Growing Herbs--What Do You Do?

Old 05-09-2013, 05:51 PM

Default Herbs in Ky.

I live in western KY. I have rosemary, thyme, sage and oregano that grows and comes back each year. I use the oregano mostly. When it starts to get tall, I cut with scissors and tie several long stems together. Then I hang it to dry. When it has fully dries I pull off the leaves and crumble with my fingers. then I put it in a jar and put a lid on. It is great in spaghetti and especially on the frozen pizzas...makes them edible.

Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
My daughter wanted to plant herbs in her garden. I've had gardens but never planted herbs. So we planted basil, rosemary, and thyme at the end of the vegetable garden. Now what do we do? Do you pick them like vegetables? How do you know when they are ready?
Old 05-10-2013, 01:56 PM

I started a few fresh herbs in my deck flower pots a couple years ago, and I have really enjoyed using the fresh herbs in my cooking. Then I had to wonder why I didn't do it before!! They are so much nicer than dried stuff. I only read the lst page, but want to add that dill is one of my favs too - It 's too big for the pots, but I grow it down near my chives around my back deck. It's so wonderful fresh! Hope you enjoy yours!
Old 05-10-2013, 09:25 PM

Tryed a citrus in pot last year and this year it's infected, sprouting from below the graft, loosing leaves-calling that one "knowledge by experience". So today bought more basil and potting soil and chives. Tomorrow the basil will get the big pot and will put the chives into a partially filled chive pot. Herbs are so fun in the garden.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:15 PM

Did you know many herbs repel those pesky insects in your yard .... like mosquitoes and ticks and flies? Reading up on the effectiveness of herbs in the garden has inspired to plant more. Keeping away all the bugs and then flavoring recipes too .... what a deal!
Old 05-26-2013, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by blueheavenfla View Post
Can you tell us more about Stevia? I use the liquid sweetener occasionally in my tea (no calories). Is this the same as the sweetener? Are the leaves sweet? Thanks. You are the first that I have heard that grows Stevia at home.
Stevia is really easy to grow at home and yes, it is the same as the liquid sweetener and its not bad for you which is great. It's the only non-sugar I'll use after getting aspartame poisioning and it causing havick in my life. Never again, it's either sugar, maple syrup or stevia. I've even heard that aquave can spike your blood sugar. Anyways, it's only natural things when it comes to sweetening for me.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:20 PM

I don't know much aboutngardening but several years ago someone gave me a few mint plants and they spread like crazy. I love having them for mint tea whener I want. This year I plan to try drying some leaves so I will have tea all winter.

I also started some knives last year in a pot. Then I transplanted it to my perennial flower bed. It got beautiful flowers on it and now this year it is coming up again. I will check to see if I can dry some of that as well. Good luck with your plants. After reading all these posts, I think I'd better plant some more herbs.