Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
GRRRR Day of and can't quilt >

GRRRR Day of and can't quilt

GRRRR Day of and can't quilt

Old 08-05-2014, 06:39 AM

Such a shame. But you will have time to plan and maybe start your next project.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Wow, that is interesting...wonder if that is done anywhere here in USA? In storm damage I can see it, but just to do maintenance seems a bit heavy....
Yes. It happened in my neighborhood last month, but the outage did not last as long as the company predicted. The big worry for me was the food in my freezer, but everything worked out fine. froggyintexas
Old 08-05-2014, 11:39 AM

I can just imagine that happening in USA. There would be riots! I forgot that it is still winter time there - that's a long time without heat! Of course in this country all you'd hear is the grrrrrrr sound of generators LOL We're the only one's in the neighborhood without one.

I hope you can stay warm - maybe pile some material on top of you
Old 08-06-2014, 06:38 AM

well tuesday came and went and we survived with no power or water fortunatly we had gas so I could cook. that brings me to something else, I couldn't use the microwave to defrost some turkey drumsticks I wanted for dinner that night so I decided to slowcook them in a large pot so I cooked then slowly then added lots of vegies and some chicken stock cooked it for 3 hours the turkey was so tender it fell of the bones the whole meal tasted lovely and I decided to use the left over stock for soup the next day so left it in the pot to cool. we have a friend staying with us and as we had to go out for a couple of hours he did the dishes for us and you guessed he poored my beautiful stock down the sink and washed the pot,when I came home he was in bed and I went to put the stock in the fridge and all I had was a lovely sparkling clean pot.we had a good laugh about it the next day. good news. I am home tomorrow and plan on doing some sewing I am making a butterfly embroidered quilt and I was stuck for ideas now I know how I will join them all up. I will post some picks when I have put it all together, I am hoping to do a quilt asyou go with it.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

We were having a bittersweet stay at son's house. Family funeral. We were hosting dinner. No power. Son had 2 bbq pits and neighbors loaned theirs. 4 bbqs going at the same time. 3 roasts turned into chili, ribs and corn on the cob. Fresh veggies from his garden. Beverages in coolers. Roasted/grilled veggies. 4 Gmas working the kitchen, mamas helping with table setups, younger ones taking care of babies. Brought a lot of people together. Rented 2 Skid-O-Cans. No problem with neighbors since they all knew the deceased. Lots of comraderie and memories. Neighbors helped watch food and pits while we were attending funeral. We've had couple longterm outages here few mnths back. Got the pit going. Had Breakfast, dinner and supper on it.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:06 PM

we keep a supply of gallon jugs of water and 3 large 5-gallon buckets of water, year around. We have had to use it several times. We also change out the water and add 3 drops of Clorox to maintain its freshness.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer View Post
I'm thinking you need to get yourself a treadle sewing machine for these situations!!
This was my first thought too
peace
Old 08-06-2014, 03:09 PM

Definitely a problem! Maybe a day for cutting or organizing.