GS dog owners

Old 06-06-2011, 09:02 PM
Banned

I am searching out to get my DH one for our anniv. in August.
I actually found a breeder here in my town, but not really sure I will be able to afford one of her dogs! We want a pure bred, but not a show dog. A pet/companion that will be obedience trained and a travel companion...

where does one find a good GS that won't cost the price of a 7 day cruise to HI???
Here is the breeder in my town:
www.vomsimpsonhaus.com
Old 06-06-2011, 09:25 PM

When we lived in Ohio (70 to 74) we had a pretty GS/Samoyed cross - coloring of the shepherd, but long hair & white chest. That was back in our "hipipie-dippie" days, so his name was PAX, Latin for "Peace".
Good luck in your search - had no idea they were expensive; our dog was from registered GS & registered Sam that a local farmer owned - he bred them on purpose & said they made great pets & farm helpers. Ours was the best price - free.

BTW, our anniversary is also in August - 8/29/70
Oh, when my hubby graduated from Kent State, his grad present was a new bird dog - registered Britainy Spaniel - had him for 15 years; so a GS for anniversary sounds great to me!
Old 06-06-2011, 09:34 PM

Make sure you look at your local shelter. There are lots of Shepherds and Shepherd mixes for adoption and they are loving and grateful companions! Also check the internet for a GS Dog Rescue organization in your area. Mine even gives a free 6 week obedience course to anyone who adopts a GS!

Everyone thinks my baby is a GS mix-mostly because of his colors. But he's a collie/malamute. A rescue dog and the best friend anyone could ask for!
Old 06-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by montanajan
When we lived in Ohio (70 to 74) we had a pretty GS/Samoyed cross - coloring of the shepherd, but long hair & white chest. That was back in our "hipipie-dippie" days, so his name was PAX, Latin for "Peace".
Good luck in your search - had no idea they were expensive; our dog was from registered GS & registered Sam that a local farmer owned - he bred them on purpose & said they made great pets & farm helpers. Ours was the best price - free.

BTW, our anniversary is also in August - 8/29/70
Oh, when my hubby graduated from Kent State, his grad present was a new bird dog - registered Britainy Spaniel - had him for 15 years; so a GS for anniversary sounds great to me!
our Anniv is 8/28/99!
Old 06-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hudgoddess
Make sure you look at your local shelter. There are lots of Shepherds and Shepherd mixes for adoption and they are loving and grateful companions! Also check the internet for a GS Dog Rescue organization in your area. Mine even gives a free 6 week obedience course to anyone who adopts a GS!

Everyone thinks my baby is a GS mix-mostly because of his colors. But he's a collie/malamute. A rescue dog and the best friend anyone could ask for!
I have been searching all of those venues for months...around here all you find are Australian sheps, and pitt bulls...rarely a decent GS mix at all...though I did find this one tonight and I am praying he will still be there when I call in the morning...http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/19791302
Old 06-06-2011, 09:50 PM

Ditto on the advice about a shelter dog, and don't shy away from a cross breed. He might be healthier. Because GS dogs have been popular for a long time, some of the less scrupulous breeders have not been careful about their bloodlines and frequently the result is hip dysplasia and other serious recessive traits. My brother-in-law had one with terrible problems. It was heartbreaking to see him go through all the expensive surgeries and still have problems.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:52 PM

OOOOOOOOH! He's amazing! I wish you good luck!
Old 06-06-2011, 09:54 PM

Google German Shepherd Rescue Enid OK....I see "Chance" needs a home.. :) What a sweet face!

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/18036033-5005:-Chance-GermanShepherdDog-Dog-Enid-OK
Old 06-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Charlee
Google German Shepherd Rescue Enid OK....I see "Chance" needs a home.. :) What a sweet face!

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/18036033-5005:-Chance-GermanShepherdDog-Dog-Enid-OK
he is too old for us..we already have two other dogs and one is nearly 12..so it will be best to get a younger pup that the old man can adapt to easier..hehehe
Old 06-06-2011, 11:10 PM

Best of luck finding your GS. Love Legend! If he were closer I would be on the phone as soon as the shelter opened this morning. My neighbor has a beautiful female GS. There is not a vicious bone in her body BUT I have no doubt that she would protect my neighbor to the end. We laugh because whenever we call each other to go for a walk the dog actually senses what we are discussing and immediately starts pacing back and forth looking up at her because she loves to walk. They are so smart. Love them!