Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Guess what I found at Goodwill today??!!! >

Guess what I found at Goodwill today??!!!

Guess what I found at Goodwill today??!!!

Old 05-03-2010, 08:28 PM

Last week there was an add on our local Craigslist asking for free fabric--scraps or otherwise. I emailed the woman and asked what kind she was looking for. She said that she worked for Catholic Charities and made curtains, mended clothing, made table clothes, etc. She said that anything--knits, denim, corduroy, cotton, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I took 4 large lawn and leaf bags full of fabric to her. Yes, that's what I found at Goodwill today---MY DONATED FABRIC!!!! Not that I care about the fabric, I wanted rid of it, but it she'd just been honest, I could have taken it to Goodwill myself. I was a little shocked and felt like I'd been scammed. When will people learn to tell the truth?
Old 05-03-2010, 08:34 PM

That is just tacky! I think I would just have to send her another e-mail and let her know I had 4 large lawn and leaf bags of fabric if she would like them.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Power Poster

That is just sad. She should have let you know if your fabric was not what she wanted.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:40 PM

not cool
Old 05-03-2010, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by grammyp
That is just tacky! I think I would just have to send her another e-mail and let her know I had 4 large lawn and leaf bags of fabric if she would like them.
That's the word that wouldn't come to mind---tacky! I know it takes several days for Goodwill to get the stuff price tagged and out so she had to have taken it there that very day. It was beautiful fabric, I could have understood better if I'd taken her horrible pieces but some of it was yards and yards of embellished demin, 100% cotton, 3 and 4 yards of dress weight cotton knit, etc.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:49 PM

I would be livid! To think that you so graciously gave fabric like that to her, and for it to end up at goodwill, oh, that's just over the top.

I think I would be inclined to send her another email. Ask her how the fabric worked out for her and see what her response to you is. Of course, you probably won't get one.
I would also be interested to know if her notice still appears on Craig's list as well.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Born2Sew
I would be livid! To think that you so graciously gave fabric like that to her, and for it to end up at goodwill, oh, that's just over the top.

I think I would be inclined to send her another email. Ask her how the fabric worked out for her and see what her response to you is. Of course, you probably won't get one.
I would also be interested to know if her notice still appears on Craig's list as well.
Yes, it's still on there and I actually thought about emailing her again but it wouldn't do any good. People that are that low aren't going to tell the truth anyway. I'm just going to let it go and be more careful in the future. Oh, man it's after midnight and I have to get up at 6! Goodnight and thanks for letting me vent.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:17 PM

Darn it! There are so many ladies right here on the board that would have loved to have had that fabric...what a witch she was to have done that to you!

I'm afraid I don't understand...I'd have to email her, tell her that I found it at Goodwill, and ask her if it was too good for her people that she does charity work for or not good enough...

I'm sorry that your feelings were hurt like that RR...~hugs~ That was a really sweet thing for you to do!
Old 05-04-2010, 03:38 AM

Wow! People like her make me NOT want to donate to anyone or help anyone. I have been burned a couple of times in the last few years so now I am very hardened as to who I will give stuff to or help. It is so sad because I used to love to help others when I could but now the joy is gone.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:48 AM

I am really confused that she did that. I would have to ask her why she didn't offer it back to you if she didn't have use for it.