Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Had an idea for a fun quilt. Would love some help....

pal

Had an idea for a fun quilt. Would love some help....

Here's my idea. Hand embroidered or appliquéd squares of sewing products, - thimble, thread, etc. (any suggestions where I can find these?)

The other squares have "tongue in cheek" words of wisdom embroidered on them - like handed down from
    Grandma. Some that I came up with :

Your scissors can be sharpened by cutting through several sheets of sandpaper - or they can be sharpened by a person who sharpens scissors.

When hand quilting, try to make your quilting stitches even. If they are not even, that's o.k.

Needle blunt? Change needles

Some sewers use a thimble. Some don't...

If you find that you're zigging too much, then zag...
    PACE - Positive Attitude Changes Everything

"All things are literally better, lovlier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."

Blog Entries
    sounds like a cute idea!
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Totally agree!
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    sounds like a cute idea!

Sounds like a great idea! Can you Do a Google search for hand embroidery designs-?
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    "Your scissorscan be sharpened by cutting through several sheets of sandpaper - or they can be sharpened by a person who sharpens scissors." But it isn't wise to use a sharp tongue!

"
    When hand quilting, try to make your quilting stitches even. If they are not even, that's o.k." Call it a design decision!

Hooped quilts don't have to be "tight as a drum" for stitching. They're not in the Army!

Dropping your cutters makes for dull blades or points. And often causes the color "red" to appear!

Tired eyes do not make energetic stitches.

Even when you are very careful in piecing, a "gremlin" often appears when you are nearly done. A glass of wine is quite helpful in getting over this event!

No fabric is too ugly if you just cut it up small enough!

You can have every quilting book that's published, but YOU will still have to make the quilt yourself.

When thread basting a large quilt, two friends chatting over the stitches makes the work much more pleasant.

Pins in their holder, pins in the piecing, pins in a basted top are really helpful; pins on the floor or in your comfy chair -- NOT SO MUCH!

It is better not to eat a Hershey bar while you are handquiltiing.

Sewing machines lovingly tended become your best tool. Name yours to show it how much you care!

Jan in VA (I could go on but I've got to get to the post office! )
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

pal
    Way to go, Jan. Thanks for all of the wonderful ideas. You are SEW COOL!

"All things are literally better, lovlier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."

Blog Entries
    That's so true, the quilting books just sit there

That will definitely be a fun quilt. Your sayings and Jan's are wonderful!

Google coloring pages for scissors, thimbles, spools, etc or try pinterest. A lot of pinners collect interesting images on our hand embroidery pages

pal
    Thanks, Dottiequilts, I googled and found - it didn't even dawn on me to try google. Now to try to tackle pinterest...

Talking

I think this is such a great idea! Suggest it to your guild. Everyone in the guild could make a square and the "saying" (proverb) Put it together and raffle it off at a quilt show and make buckets of money for a charity. I just read a bunch of quilt phrases and made copies some of them. Let me know if you need me to dig them out of the paper pile. I also know that on some machine embroidery sites they have sewing items to machine embroider. Go for it! I want to see your finished quilt and I want to be the first in line to buy a raffle ticket!
    Last edited by maryellen2u; 04-02-2016 at 07:32 PM.