Hair Coloring?

Old 06-03-2017, 01:28 PM
Power Poster

My hair is dark so the gray makes it look dull and not very pretty. I blend in a lighter color then my own hair color, just on top strands. Looks like a pro job.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:40 PM

Kool-Aid! It'll add pizzazz, and if it's too much pizzazz, wait a week or two. It'll rinse out and you could try a new flavor!
Old 06-03-2017, 01:40 PM
Power Poster

I have "streaking" - not thrilled about it - but that's the way it's growing.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:35 PM

"Each to his own!" as the old lady said when she kissed the cow. Do whatever makes you feel best. That said, the training I got in college (home ec degree) was that grey softens wrinkles and, with certain dye jobs, it obviously does so best do it as subtly as you can. My hairdresser wanted to color my hair. It's light brown/dark blond and getting gray and I said "NO WAY!" I spent a bunch of money back in the day to get "highlights" and now I have them without having those strands pulled and paying $$$ for it. I love the soft lavender idea so, if I ever change my mind, that would be my first, second, and third choice!
Old 06-03-2017, 03:03 PM

My hair turned white and even had some people stop and tell me how beautiful it was. I did NOT like it Casper white, SO got some Red Rose Orange Pekoe tea bags. Put 2 bags in 1/2 cup hot water, let steep until cool. I put it in a small spray bottle and spray my hair with it, keep remaining in fridge to use warm after next shampoo.
My hairdresser now tells me my hair is champagne color, so much better than being Casper white. I do not drink tea of any kind but now have it for my hair.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by LenaBeena View Post
We have a place here called Ulta that sells hair products. They sell the same brands as Walmart for twice the price.
I don't know about Walmart brands and the prices, but I buy a lot at Ulta because they have a lot of the high end brands that I really like and some good sales. I also like Beauty Brands. They are similar to Ulta and also sell the high end brands that really make my hair look good.

I don't color my own hair but my hairdresser told me when I'm ready to let it go gray, he could color the roots so that it gradually grows out with no line. I'll be going for that.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:43 PM

I started coloring my hair when my baby was in grammer school. I was 45 then and people thought I was her grandmother, so that is when I started. So continued to color for 30 yr and last October I decided, that was it, no more. I do believe that you have to be emotionally ready for it, because it is a little shocking when you pass a mirror and wonder who that is..hehe. My hair dresser trimmed my hair really short so it was just a matter of a few months. I am very happy with it.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by mandyrose View Post
I am not real sure but at sally's you need a cosmetology license to get hair color products other items you can buy with out a license maybe just in my state PA and the rules could have changed,i stoped coloring my hair years ago i still don't like the gray but was getting to be a pain coloring every 4 wks my hair grows like a weed.
There are some hair coloring dyes that you can buy. Plus, you can tell them what you want to do and they may be able to give you suggestions to get what you want. My sister after years of trying to hide the gray wanted to try and embrace it. She found out shortly that it took just as much to keep the look going without doing nothing and looking drab so I think she's back to coloring again. I'm lucky, unlike my sister who took after my dad who always was totally gray mine is only on top and easy to cover so far. She's 5 yrs younger that I am so I don't complain about the gray when it shows up, just happy its not as bad as hers. Good luck
Old 06-04-2017, 04:47 AM

I'd been coloring my hair since I was 12 years old. My mother was a hairdresser. When I saw I was getting grey and getting ready to retire, I decided to stop coloring my hair as my funds were going to be less so that was one of the things I decided to eliminate. Thought I'd have it highlighted to blend all the various colors but my hairdresser at that time suggested low lighting it instead. That's streaking it with my natural color. That was back in 2008 and I'm so glad I went with her suggestion. Luckily my greying is coming in streaks so it looks like I've highlighted it somewhat. I worked hard for these grey hairs so I'm going to flaunt them now.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

My mothers' hair started to turn gray in a small part of her head that looked intentional. It was very pretty. It gradually got grayer radiating out from the one spot. She used a silver rinse. My hair started graying all over in my 20s. Not pretty at all. Now I am in my 70s and my husband of 30 plus years is 12 years younger. For the last 8 years I have been on a drug that causes my hair to thin. So I keep up the at home coloring because 1- I like it. 2 - I don't want to look that much older than the Mister and 3- it helps camoflauge the thinning hair. I use inexpensive products and it is not a hassle to me. The newer products don't drip so I put it on and go about my business and rinse it out. I have plenty of time in my life to do this. The Sally's I've been to don't require a license to buy any products. Only if you want the professional discount. Lucky life is such that we can all do what pleases us the most!! We don't have to Live with one size fits all.