Hair Coloring?

Old 06-02-2017, 07:41 PM
Power Poster

Default Hair Coloring?

Hi everyone. I have a question about hair coloring at home. I have coloring over my grayish hair many times. It's not totally gray yet, but I was wondering if there is a color or highlights to use on normally graying hair to do at home, that helps it to have a bit of pizazz to it while it's graying? More like many with blond hair people have to blend in with their gray.

Thanks
Old 06-03-2017, 02:00 AM
Power Poster

​I have been using Natural Instintcs semi permanent hair colour for years. It is gentle on my hair and gradually fades out as you wash it so no roots appear.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:24 AM

Not sure if they still sell the product, but you can also use a 'toner' on your hair. It is a rinse out product so needs to be repeated constantly but it's cheap stuff. It's not a colorant, per se, just adds a bit of 'dimension' as it were. I used to use it all the time but stopped it as well as any coloring once the grey was significant enough for none of the colorings to matter (to me).
Old 06-03-2017, 03:49 AM

NJ Quilter is right about the wash out and reapply product. It can be found at beauty supply stores. Not sure of the actual name.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:18 AM
Power Poster

I use Root Touch Up. Not sure of the brand name. I blend the color in with my hair, top to bottom, not all over. The brush that comes with it does a great job of blending. I watched my friend get the blending at a salon and thought that's simple. Saved me $80. Looks great. I have dark hair so I use ash med brown color, never try to match your hair color, go lighter. Over the counter dye will always be darker then the color shown. Nothing looks worse then dyed dark hair from a bottle to cover gray.

Last edited by Onebyone; 06-03-2017 at 04:23 AM.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:32 AM

I am trying to let my hair go grey. Tired of dying it. The semi-permanent stuff does not work well for me at all and costs twice as much! So I am stumped. I can go to the beauty shop and spent $70 every 6 weeks to get low-lights put in as my grey goes out, but that is far too costly. Anyone have ideas as to how I can not look like a skunk?
Old 06-03-2017, 04:44 AM

It's been awhile since I've needed to cover the change but I used Nice'n'Easy in a shade lighter than my usual color. It was more forgiving as the roots began to show. My belief is that hair is supposed to change with years as it softens the look with "lines" that also appear below the hairline. Very dark hair seems to only draw attention to those "lines" and looks unnatural.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:27 AM

A few years back O'Loreal made a wonderful semi-permanent color that was simply for women with gray hair that wanted to keep it that color, or add a little shine to their hair. It hasn't been around in a while. As a blonde that is going gray I would love to add to the gray without having to pay a fortune at the salon.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

Here is another thread on the subject

http://www.quiltingboard.com/general...g-t281749.html
Old 06-03-2017, 06:29 AM

My hair is very silver very pretty but makes me look too old so I have been using low lights (wash out) in a darker blond tone and I get pretty silver/blond tone. But I am so tired of spending $$ on i, when I could use that on ore fun things. So I am hoping someone has a solution. I do not mind coloring at home but can't find low lights to buy.