Half Lab- half fish?

Old 07-10-2010, 04:33 PM

My son has a lab and it is the same with her. She loves the lake. They have to force her to come out. One time she got what the Vet. said is limp tail. It is from swimming to much. They use their tail as a rudder. She could not sit on her butt for about a week. So now he really keeps a eye on her when they go to the lake. She is one silly but great dog. He taught her to shake when she gets to the shore so she doesn't get everyone wet. It's so funny. When she comes out he just says shake and she does, then she comes up to the cabin.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:36 PM

A vet told me that labs have a higher body temperature than most other breeds, that is why they like water. It is very important that labs be able to get in to some kind of water in the summer even if it is a kiddie pool or a sprinkler.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:27 PM

They live to swim.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:28 PM

They love it! I had a Cairn Terrier that thought she was a lab too. In the summer we kept a tub of water out for her to lay in. We would throw rocks in the water here at the beach and she would go nuts and go in to find them. Stick she would retrieve.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:14 PM
Power Poster

We had a yellow lab who was actually white for many years. He loved the water and would swim for hours. My late husband would take him fishing and he never bothered the fish that he caught until one day...I guess he got curious and ate one whole. I know it is really bad for dogs to eat raw fish, but we were lucky he didn't get sick.

We also had a Chesepeake Bay Retriever who was even worse. In order to keep her out of my small pond we had to fence it in. I bought her a kiddy pool and she used it all summer long. If we threw something in she would bring it out. When we used to go camping it was hard to keep other people's children from throwing rocks in the lake because Sadie would spend as much time as she needed to to find the rock. Then she chipped a tooth and we had to get really serious. We had her 15 years.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:49 PM

Haven't you heard about the lady that heard a scratch on her door, looked out and saw a big yellow dog. She opened the door, the dog walked in, walked around, found a small rug laid down and went to sleep for about 2 hours. Then he woke up went to the door and she let him out. The next afternoon the same thing happened. After about a week she decided to find out what was going on so she put a note on his collar that read, "Do you know that your dog is coming to my house every afternoon, sleeping for two hours then coming home?" The next day when the dog came back there was a note on his collar that read, "Do you know that he lives in a house with 2 cats, 6 kids under the age of 10, a grouchy grandpa, and two other adults? My question is can I come too?" LOL
Old 07-11-2010, 12:44 AM
Power Poster

I love that story!
Old 07-11-2010, 03:17 AM

Funny story! Almost too close to reality here.....
Old 07-11-2010, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by stitchesnstaples
..... One time she got what the Vet. said is limp tail. It is from swimming to much. They use their tail as a rudder. She could not sit on her butt for about a week.
I'll tell my DD about this just in case the dog/fish shows signs of it. Thanks
Old 07-11-2010, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

They love water. Anyway every one I have known has. You are right. Part fish.