Halloween

Old 08-04-2018, 09:40 AM

I’ve always decorated for Halloween. I never get any kids here, very few on our street and we live down the hill from everyone. I like to hang the skeleton out in the tree, put the witch by the door and various glass stuff around. Hubby loves candy corn so bowls of it are filled. I used to dress up at work and had a lot of fun with grandchildren at a party.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
No, I don't decorate for Halloween. I don't make Halloween quilts, either. Nowadays the kids seem to go to the church Harvest Festivals, rather than door to door. It's safer.
Same for me. Actually, Halloween can be dangerous for us little ole ladies also. Several years ago, a little old lady opened her door to what she thought were little spooks. They were spooks alright, but not the little ones. Her body was found in the mist of the candy she was giving out. She was hit on the head by that well-used blunt object.

Be careful out there, y'all!
Old 08-04-2018, 11:06 AM

For 17 years I didn't decorate at all for Halloween or Christmas (except for putting up the tree every 3rd year when we hosted the family) because our house was not visible from any road or walkway. But we've moved into a village. I got one of those projection lights and it was really pretty as it washed over our house at Christmas. It does have a Halloween setting and I'm thinking of using it this year. Went from no kids--not even the neighbour's two boys--for 17 years, to about 40 last year.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:40 PM
Power Poster

No decorations and no trick or treaters.

We have a Granddaughter in law that loves everything Halloween. I love the candy corn.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:30 PM

Halloween is my favorite holiday and I decorate all over inside and outside of my house. My 3 granddaughters live with me and they love to help decorate but as they get older it is less decorating each year. I want a Halloween quilt on every bed in the house eventually.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:33 AM

I do not celebrate Halloween at all. Oh, when my children were young, just kiddos, they trick or treated but times were different. Now Halloween seems to be all about blood gore, horrific scariness or sexiness. Halloween has lost its fun and silliness. When I was in a house I just hated to see 4, 5, 6 year-olds coming to my door with horrific scary masks and costumes. It hurts my hear to think that these children have had their innocence stolen. (I live in a condo now and there are no trick or treaters at all.) I just decorate for fall and it lasts from September through Thanksgiving.

When I am given Halloween fabric, I just pass it on to my guild friends who will use it.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:22 AM

I dislike Halloween. Basically, I dislike October even though it is my birth month. It is not a happy time for me and "celebrations" seem odd, but that's because of my life experiences. More of my family (inlcuding son, grandfather, grandmother, MIL, and more) have died in that month than any other. My DIL and SIL love the "celebration" and I let them have fun with it. It's great fun for young ones, and we did go with our kids when they went trick-or-treating.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:36 AM

I do some fall color decorating and add a few little touches for Halloween and then exchange those for Thanksgiving touches as it gets closer to Thanksgiving.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:39 AM

We get no trick or treaters, but now that the grands are near, I have a few cute things. They love the hand over the bowl that tries to grab them when the reach for a candy. But even they go to church festivals to stay safe.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:54 AM

I don't decorate for Halloween anymore since the kids are grown and all living in different states. But for many many year I was a crafter of soft sculpture items and did an early fall show...sold more Halloween items such as pumpkins, witches, Frankensteins, bats etc. than anything else. Got to the point where people were placing orders for the witches and Frankensteins. Next thing that sold was Christmas items. I no longer make them, but quilt instead.