Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hanging a Mirror

Hanging a Mirror

Yesterday at Lowe's I must have spent 30 minutes searching an entire wall of 3M Command products. Surprisingly, I could not find an appropriate product to hang a 2-3 lb. small mirror without making nail holes. Found lots of items that hold 1/2 lb., flat strips, hook style that would make a mirror stick out at least 2 inches from wall, etc. Anyone have a suggestion on what to buy? Thank you!

My Hm Depot/Lowes/Staples/Joanns all carry a wide variety of Command Strips to hold up to 16 lbs. Velcro Strips which is what I use to hang my full size quilts, wallhangings and pictures...Go online and search Velcro command strips...including Amazon

Others may disagree or had ok experiences but I would never hang a mirror or glazed picture with Command Strips.

In my old house, they were fine and had no problem hanging various things like mops, apron, quilting rulers etc - never pictures or mirrors. When I moved I used them to hang up these same fairly lightweight things in my workroom and utility area. Within 6 months every darned one had come off the wall. Luckily nothing broke.

A friend hung up a glass wreath she made with one, within a few months it came off the wall and smashed.

The strips are only as good as the adhesion of the paint to the plaster.

HettyB

Thank you both for replying.

Hetty......I will definitely find another way!

When we put a new addition on my Husband didn't want me to use nails so I used command hook and in about 6 months time they gave out and my picture fell to the floor I had only hung one. So now I use a small nail for a mirror I would use something more substantial.

Blog Entries
    I don't know. i hung command strip to hold a plate rack. it fell later. broke all plates.

Use regular picture hangers. They come in different weight sizes. We hang most everything using wall anchors. They don't come out of drywall. No hesitation to put holes in the wall. It's easy to spackle and paint later as needed.

I would not use anything but a nail or small screws to hang a mirror or a favorite picture.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Don't hang a mirror with command strips. They have a tendency to "let go" in the middle of the night. Ask me how I know. Go with regular hanger in the stud of the wall not the dry wall.

I hang some things by using a needle or a straight pin put at a pretty steep angle into the wall. I don't know that I'd trust it with a mirror but it is a suggestion anyhow. And as to nails--if you are hanging anything heavy, those probably should go into a stud as the weight may let the item pull a bigger hole in the drywall or plaster over time, letting everything go.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    I would not use anything but a nail or small screws to hang a mirror or a favorite picture.
    I agree with this. My aunt moved in with her mother-in-law and was not allowed to put nails into the walls. A few years later the house burned down and all those unblemished walls were gone, too. They built a new house and now Aunt Agnes could put nails into the walls.

Use nails! But be sure they are going into studs!
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I like command strips but not for something like a mirror.

I love monkey hooks. They do make a tiny hole in the wall, but they are strong and easy to put up, and they hold the object close to the wall. I think at the weight you are dealing with here there should be a command hook that could take it, but I have had no luck at all with them on textured walls. They give out after a while if the surface isn't perfectly smooth.
    “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” ~Maya Angelou.
    One's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

Need to google monkey hooks, never heard of them.

Wow! Those look ingenious!
    Last edited by JustAbitCrazy; 11-13-2018 at 01:06 AM.

My 1920s house has crown molding across the top of the walls. I love it. Special clips for wires to hang from. Lots easier than nails in plaster walls.
    "Sacrifices must be made." Otto Lilienthal