Hanging Towels

Old 09-04-2019, 07:21 AM

I'm doing towels this year also, I'm making some with the matching folded potholder at the top, and I will be crocheting tops on some of the towels, the crocheted ones is my go to travel project with dishcloths,
Old 09-04-2019, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

I have been wanting to make a couple for myself. Although when time to start something else, I just naturally start making another quilt.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:31 AM

I like your toppers, they show off the fabric pattern really well. Did you design them yourself or follow an existing pattern?
Old 09-13-2019, 05:28 AM

I make a lot of hanging dishtowels. I like the terry cloth towels which are big enough to cut in half and get two hanging dishtowels. You can find Better Homes and Garden brand at Walmart and they are every economical. I have also used the cotton feed sack towels when I do machine embroidery on the towel.

For my topper I use the shape of my iron with a few inches added to each side. I found that idea on a website that is no longer available. It's the perfect shape. Sew the two pieces of the top together leaving the straight edge bottom open, fold up the open bottom, put a piece of stabilizer in the tip for the buttonhole, gather your towel and place it in the open bottom, sew the towel in place, make your buttonhole on the pointy end, add your button and it's done. Fun and easy to make.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

i took a class at the library, it was free, so i went. she used dollar store towels and cut them in half.
after cutting it out, which took about a minute, i finished it in less than 20 minnutes, including waiting to use the iron.
she had us do buttons and buttonholes. but no one knew how to do the buttonhole on the machine. i put velcro on mine. have fun with it.
I love the one with the cake towel toppers. Last year, i was going to make some, and my friend said they were tacky and not to give her one. I love the idea. you can wipe your hands on them, and they don't fall off.

so, how many of you would want one for a gift?
Old 09-16-2019, 01:10 AM

I don't know what a "cake towel topper" is. Very curious, though...
Old 09-16-2019, 04:12 AM

I do love the kitchen towels with matching potholders, both folded in half. It's quick, easy and hangs nicely on dishwasher or oven doors. I have one for each season.
I also don't know what a 'cake towel topper' is. Inquiring minds want to know.