Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hanging Towels

Hanging Towels

Looking for advice on the best types of towels and where to purchase to make into hanging kitchen towels. Going to be this years Christmas gifts.

Power Poster
    ​I do the ones with the folded pot holder on top so I look for matching hand towels and pot holders at the Dollar Store.

Blog Entries
    I actually bought some at a quilt store. came with the pattern of embroidery or something for the top section. just a thought.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

I also plan to make hanging towels as gifts this year. I found kitchen towels at Kohls on sale and clearance with a 30% off coupon, they are a real deal. I also use Dunroven or Moda toweling. Depends on the design I want or need.
    I made several for our guild show this year and they sold!
    Here are a couple of pictures of the boutique ones
    Name:  IMG_0072.JPG
Views: 993
Size:  1.14 MBName:  IMG_0042.JPG
Views: 997
Size:  1.22 MB

After trying several brands I found Dunroven to be the best. They are durable, square and embroider nicely.

I bought a few kits from Fat Quarter Shop to make this year for gifts. They are adorable Christmas fabrics with the towels. Can't wait to get started. I'll probably make more of them if they go together well. You really don't need a kit to make them but I couldn't resist buying a few.

I did that one year, but I crocheted them with 100% cotton yarn. I made some with the tops a different color, and some all one color. The top continues into a long tab with a buttonhole near the end, which flips over onto itself over the bar and buttons onto the body of the towel at the top. I looked up patterns on the computer and kind of modified what I found to be what I wanted.

Blog Entries
    Walmart has a nice package, and so does Sam's Club, of white hand towels that are not expensive that I have used for this project in the past. I would embroidery them and they have always been well received.

I bought a lot of mine at places like Tuesday Morning, Home Goods, TJ Maxx last year.

What ever brand you purchase I suggest washing them before doing any embroidery or sewing on them. Last year I make hanging towels as gifts. They turned out nice until they were washed. Some shrank a lot and puckered at the hem, some faded unevenly, they had streaks of light and dark spots.

Blog Entries
    I'm doing towels this year also, I'm making some with the matching folded potholder at the top, and I will be crocheting tops on some of the towels, the crocheted ones is my go to travel project with dishcloths,
    Mary

I have been wanting to make a couple for myself. Although when time to start something else, I just naturally start making another quilt.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I like your toppers, they show off the fabric pattern really well. Did you design them yourself or follow an existing pattern?

I make a lot of hanging dishtowels. I like the terry cloth towels which are big enough to cut in half and get two hanging dishtowels. You can find Better Homes and Garden brand at Walmart and they are every economical. I have also used the cotton feed sack towels when I do machine embroidery on the towel.

For my topper I use the shape of my iron with a few inches added to each side. I found that idea on a website that is no longer available. It's the perfect shape. Sew the two pieces of the top together leaving the straight edge bottom open, fold up the open bottom, put a piece of stabilizer in the tip for the buttonhole, gather your towel and place it in the open bottom, sew the towel in place, make your buttonhole on the pointy end, add your button and it's done. Fun and easy to make.
    Everyone can't be Irish, somebody has to drive.

Blog Entries
    i took a class at the library, it was free, so i went. she used dollar store towels and cut them in half.
    after cutting it out, which took about a minute, i finished it in less than 20 minnutes, including waiting to use the iron.
    she had us do buttons and buttonholes. but no one knew how to do the buttonhole on the machine. i put velcro on mine. have fun with it.
    I love the one with the cake towel toppers. Last year, i was going to make some, and my friend said they were tacky and not to give her one. I love the idea. you can wipe your hands on them, and they don't fall off.

so, how many of you would want one for a gift?
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

I don't know what a "cake towel topper" is. Very curious, though...

Blog Entries
    I do love the kitchen towels with matching potholders, both folded in half. It's quick, easy and hangs nicely on dishwasher or oven doors. I have one for each season.
    I also don't know what a 'cake towel topper' is. Inquiring minds want to know.