Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Has anyone made a US Flag?

Blog Entries

Has anyone made a US Flag?

I looked on the internet for a US Flag pattern for fun. I found all sorts of patterns, but not the original 50 stars and strips. Also found they need to be a certain size etc. (maybe for one on a flag pole) I have lots of things on my bucket list, but just wondering if anyone has made one. Could be interesting. Thanks.. D

Blog Entries
    are you looking to make a quilt that looks like the flag or to make a flag to hang on a pole
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

There is a protocol for flag construction. I cannot remember exactly where I saw it. I googled flag protocol and found a great deal of information. There is a certain size proportion, meaning if width is a certain size then the length would be in a direct proportion. It is a math thing. Also, the pole has to be a certain height compaired to the size of the flag. I have the fabric purchased and put aside to make a flag, have not found where I can buy extra time to set aside to make one. I want to donate it to our local fire and rescue for the help and service they provided when my son was in a car accident. He was sitting at a stop light and was rear ended by a drunk who was driving a semi-tractor trailer. He is physically ok now, just 2 rods and 4 screws in this neck. Emotionally, he still hurts because there are things he cannot do. His. body recovered, but he was financially devastated.

Blog Entries
    You got my brain a'goin' here and that is dangerous for an almost 76 year old broad!!!!! I just had a deck put out in front and had to move my flag staff. I had a bracket put up next to the door. That's the background -- what I am wondering if I could buy some patriotic fabric like maybe white with blue stars and red with white stars for the stripes and blue background with white stars for the upper left corner. I mean they make shirts and bathing suits out of the red white and blue stars and stripes, why can't I make my own quilted flag. My flag is getting quite disheveled and for the 2nd time in 54 years I will be burning it on the patio out back, very respectfully in my own yard. But is there any law that says I can't make an American Flag myself????? Wouldn't it mean just as much to me or anyone else as Betsy Ross' design? Did Betsy Ross have the same idea I am conjuring up in my head (addled that it may be)? And, being patriotic as I am, would that not mean as much to me as the one my husband was presented with that hung over the US Capitol? I would never make one like my idea, if it were illegal or not in absolute respect for OUR flag, but it would have been made from the heart! Edie

I think your idea is wonderful. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Power Poster
    My new Love of Quilting new magazine had an add in it. The "Old Glory" quilt pattern can be downloaded for free at http://www.fabri-quilt.com. It was a flag that finishes at 26X41.

I have one on my flagpole now that the wind has whipped the ends out of and we have a new one for replacement. Couldn't you just use an old one for a pattern and make a new one to suit yourself?? I haven't seen any flag poloice around here.

Missouri Star Quilt Company - Jenny Doan has a tutorial on making a flag from tumblers.
    Be kinder than is necessary because everyone you meet is
    fighting some kind of battle

I actually found a Flag material printed out at wal mart(the correct size) and came home--sewed in the seams and added the grommets for it . Then I was asked by my son to do them up one--which I did.