Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Has Anyone Seen The Documentary Three Identical Strangers? >

Has Anyone Seen The Documentary Three Identical Strangers?

Has Anyone Seen The Documentary Three Identical Strangers?

Old 02-08-2019, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

ekuw- I don't think it's cynicism at all on your part. I'm not cynical by nature but this story made me think about what goes on that we don't know about. And it wasn't all that long ago really. The experiment part of the story made me very angry.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

Oh I saw this one. so very sad. Doctors and or Scientists have been doing things like this since WWII or before. still are for that matter. even trying to get the best Soldiers with drugs or what ever they can. How this still goes on is beyond me!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-11-2019 at 04:01 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 02-08-2019, 07:34 PM

I just watched it...whoa... very deep! So sad. My first thought was of the old movie "The Boys from Brazil".
Old 02-10-2019, 12:37 PM

So tragic, saw it on CNN. Also saw Mr Rogers on PBS, it was great, reminded me of my children, they watched it every day!!!
Old 02-12-2019, 08:14 AM

Happy and sad all at the same time.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
ekuw- I don't think it's cynicism at all on your part. I'm not cynical by nature but this story made me think about what goes on that we don't know about. And it wasn't all that long ago really. The experiment part of the story made me very angry.
This is the same reason, I don't think I would give my DNA to find out my ancestry. We really don't know that the companies collecting all our DNA might do with it in the future. Some people call this paranoid, but no one else on the planet has your DNA but you...and you give it away? I'm just not comfortable with that.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:43 PM
Power Poster

ekuw- While I don't agree with your last post, I certainly understand your view. What I like about having a DNA data base is that it has exonerated people who had been convicted of horrible crimes. Conversely, they have caught people who did commit the crimes. But that's just one angle. I like that they are using it for this purpose.
There is also something to be said for all the research on diseases with the use of DNA. So it's kind of a mixed bag I guess.
I haven't done the ancestry stuff because I'm just not that interested. Maybe someday that will change.
I don't think it's being paranoid to hold your view!

Last edited by SusieQOH; 02-12-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
ekuw- While I don't agree with your last post, I certainly understand your view. What I like about having a DNA data base is that it has exonerated people who had been convicted of horrible crimes. Conversely, they have caught people who did commit the crimes. But that's just one angle. I like that they are using it for this purpose.
There is also something to be said for all the research on diseases with the use of DNA. So it's kind of a mixed bag I guess.
I haven't done the ancestry stuff because I'm just not that interested. Maybe someday that will change.
I don't think it's being paranoid to hold your view!
Yes, it is a mixed bag. I love the idea of cold case crimes being solved. As a matter of fact here where I live was ground zero for the Golden State Killer (Original Night Stalker) who terrorized the area in the mid 70's. He was caught using familial DNA and probably would not have been caught otherwise. As far as researching diseases, I would hope that is done with DNA provided in a scientific setting, not DNA being unknowingly used for that purpose. These companies could potentially sell your DNA for that purpose. It all comes down to $$ so if one of these companies can get you to pay for ancestry results and then sell the DNA profiles for research I believe they would do so in a heartbeat. I am not that interested in the ancestry stuff either, I get the general gist of mine from others in my family who have done some of the research. I come from a long line of nobodies
Old 02-13-2019, 03:08 AM
Power Poster

Haha! Me too