Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Has Anyone Seen The Documentary Three Identical Strangers?

Has Anyone Seen The Documentary Three Identical Strangers?

Wow, I was blown away by it.

It's on Prime as a pay movie but it's also been running on CNN.

I did see it. It is a story of reunion, but one of deep sadness and tragedy also. I had learned of them when they first reunited, so was interested to see it on CNN. I'm glad that Yale? finally is releasing some information that has been locked up. Scary what went on, and scary that there may be others out there just like them! Hope they can find peace and reconciliation.

I watched it on your recommendation and it is a fascinating story.
    a quilter, a baker, a picture-taker

My, that title sounds fascinating. I hope I get to see it sometime.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Adult triplets reunited?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have not seen it but have heard interviews and then reviews of the movie. I was interested because this is a topic that comes up in my child development classes. May have to work this movie into my plans for the class along with Won't You Be My Neighbor that is all about Mr. Rogers. Another excellent movie that got little attention.

Yes, it is fascinating, tragic, and was very unethical. Scary, really. Such beautiful boys! They eventually got some of the sealed documents from Yale but they were heavily censored because of other subjects in the study. I have a feeling they didn't get anything of value.

Re: Fred Rogers- I want to see that one too. He was a wonderful human being!!

Cookie- glad you enjoyed it.

Having served on the IRB (Institutional Review Board)of a hospital where we had to review all studies using human subjects, the idea that they would use these children and their families without informed consent made me cringe. No university would authorize such unethical treatment of children today. It also made me wonder what we might be doing today that will upset society in 40 years as our understanding of ethics and mores changes.
    People will see your quilts long after you're gone - NOT your housework!

Agree with you Pam S. I've been involved with IRBs too. It was a tragic story. Started out sweet and then took that turn.
    Alyce

Yes, I was blown away by it too! I don't think it could happen today, but the fact that it wasn't really that long ago is quite shocking actually. This is my cynicism showing, but there is a lot that goes on by corporations/government that we have no clue about. The fact that this came to light by sheer coincidence is amazing.

ekuw- I don't think it's cynicism at all on your part. I'm not cynical by nature but this story made me think about what goes on that we don't know about. And it wasn't all that long ago really. The experiment part of the story made me very angry.

Blog Entries
    Oh I saw this one. so very sad. Doctors and or Scientists have been doing things like this since WWII or before. still are for that matter. even trying to get the best Soldiers with drugs or what ever they can. How this still goes on is beyond me!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-11-2019 at 04:01 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps

I just watched it...whoa... very deep! So sad. My first thought was of the old movie "The Boys from Brazil".
    Family is a priority, not a convenience!
    Take time to be friendly... It's the road to happiness.
    Take time to give... It is too short a day to be selfish.

So tragic, saw it on CNN. Also saw Mr Rogers on PBS, it was great, reminded me of my children, they watched it every day!!!

Happy and sad all at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    ekuw- I don't think it's cynicism at all on your part. I'm not cynical by nature but this story made me think about what goes on that we don't know about. And it wasn't all that long ago really. The experiment part of the story made me very angry.
    This is the same reason, I don't think I would give my DNA to find out my ancestry. We really don't know that the companies collecting all our DNA might do with it in the future. Some people call this paranoid, but no one else on the planet has your DNA but you...and you give it away? I'm just not comfortable with that.

ekuw- While I don't agree with your last post, I certainly understand your view. What I like about having a DNA data base is that it has exonerated people who had been convicted of horrible crimes. Conversely, they have caught people who did commit the crimes. But that's just one angle. I like that they are using it for this purpose.
    There is also something to be said for all the research on diseases with the use of DNA. So it's kind of a mixed bag I guess.
    I haven't done the ancestry stuff because I'm just not that interested. Maybe someday that will change.
    I don't think it's being paranoid to hold your view!
    Last edited by SusieQOH; 02-12-2019 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    ekuw- While I don't agree with your last post, I certainly understand your view. What I like about having a DNA data base is that it has exonerated people who had been convicted of horrible crimes. Conversely, they have caught people who did commit the crimes. But that's just one angle. I like that they are using it for this purpose.
    There is also something to be said for all the research on diseases with the use of DNA. So it's kind of a mixed bag I guess.
    I haven't done the ancestry stuff because I'm just not that interested. Maybe someday that will change.
    I don't think it's being paranoid to hold your view!
    Yes, it is a mixed bag. I love the idea of cold case crimes being solved. As a matter of fact here where I live was ground zero for the Golden State Killer (Original Night Stalker) who terrorized the area in the mid 70's. He was caught using familial DNA and probably would not have been caught otherwise. As far as researching diseases, I would hope that is done with DNA provided in a scientific setting, not DNA being unknowingly used for that purpose. These companies could potentially sell your DNA for that purpose. It all comes down to $$ so if one of these companies can get you to pay for ancestry results and then sell the DNA profiles for research I believe they would do so in a heartbeat. I am not that interested in the ancestry stuff either, I get the general gist of mine from others in my family who have done some of the research. I come from a long line of nobodies

Haha! Me too