Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Has this ever happened to you?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Can you come and take it back for me? Sounds like you get results while I am not.

Quote Originally Posted by arimuse
    300$ to reformat a new computer!!!!!!!!What!!!!!! I would have taken that sucker back where I bought it on the first time it went out and if they wouldnt help Id write to the manufacturer and be on the phone to Clark Howard on CNN. And, Id never ever buy another computer by that manufacturer again -
    not helpful now but it sounds like you just need a new one. sharet

Buy a MAC.

my daughters computer did this it was posted back to the maker 4 times then for the fifth time it was out of warranty so it is now sitting in the cupboard unusable I think some are faulty and should be replaced not fixed if the same thing happens more than once

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BARES
    Thank you for the suggestion. Will holding the F10 fix work for Vista as well. I have a laptop that just croaked. Was my BIL who is dead and can't bypass the Administrator password to change it.

Not sure about Vista..you might be able to check with either the Vista site or call them..I do know it can be done (just not sure how)..Computers get refurbished and sold quite often ..Also, if you ever have to do a complete recovery make sure that you transfer any photo's or added programs onto a disc before you do it..I have lost so many pictures..

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Lynne
    I bought my new computer in Aug 2010. I had it for 6 months and it went BSOD. (Blue screen) Took it to the Geeks and they "fixed it". Cost $300. A month later it happened again. Took it back. 2 weeks later it was back in the shop for the same thing. For a third time I had to take it back for the same thing. They kept saying it was my fault. They reformatted it on the third try. Had to re-install all the software from scratch. Well I have had it back for FIVE days now and it is still happening. THIS WILL BE THE FOURTH TIME I WILL BE TAKING IT IN FOR THE SAME THING!!!! Has anything like this happened to you or do you have any SUGGESTIONS? Anything will be appreciated.
    Not sure what type of computer software that you have but, if you have windows xp I can give you some suggestions about how to restart it from scratch so it may save you some money..You probably already tried this though :) ...Shut the computer off..and BEFORE you reboot it..hold down the f10 button..DO NOT take finger off until after the computer is rebooted ..It should take you to a screen that will ask you if you want to return to factory condition..hit yes..It will take awhile but usually that fixes alot of problems..If all else fails, it maybe cheaper to just buy a new computer than keep paying those huge amounts to fix it..I think you can get a brand new one for right around 400.00 ..(some cheaper, some more expensive)...I love mine but there are times I just want to chunk it out the window..

Blog Entries
    Take that lemon thing back and get you a good one.I sure would and ask to speak to the manager in charge and tell that person what is going on.

I bought my new computer in Aug 2010. I had it for 6 months and it went BSOD. (Blue screen) Took it to the Geeks and they "fixed it". Cost $300. A month later it happened again. Took it back. 2 weeks later it was back in the shop for the same thing. For a third time I had to take it back for the same thing. They kept saying it was my fault. They reformatted it on the third try. Had to re-install all the software from scratch. Well I have had it back for FIVE days now and it is still happening. THIS WILL BE THE FOURTH TIME I WILL BE TAKING IT IN FOR THE SAME THING!!!! Has anything like this happened to you or do you have any SUGGESTIONS? Anything will be appreciated.
    Something similar happened to me--when I took it someplace else, the first thing the man did was tell me that I had a pc that had been recalled and the company would replace it free--only problem was the offer had ended a couple of weeks before I got to him. I had been in and out of Staples with it and no one ever mentioned that. Might be worth doing your own search on the model number of your pc.

I'd send it back to the company asap. Most good name brands will replace it as being defective. I wouldn't mess with local repair guys.

Blog Entries
    If you have a product that is having problems, call the manufacturer! If you don't get the answer you want, keep calling and asking for their custome care or customer service department. Keep going up the ladder at the company...they WILL help you! They want their customers to be happy and they want to sell good products- thats why they are in business. The store where you bought it really doesn't matter.

I bought a new HP laptop last year and had a problem a few months later. Sent it back to HP, they fixed the problem, did some checking and found other issues that I wasn't even aware of..fixed them all at no charge to me. They did a great job of Customer care.

Good luck!

what kind is it?

darlene

BSOD often goes away if you hold down the power button for over 10 seconds (it will turn off) then when you re-start it, it reboots itself. Every time this has happened to me (on three or four different computers), this simple solution has fixed it.

Sounds like it would be cheaper in the long run to just buy a new one.

I would say "have them check the mother board". I would say you should ask for a new computer! There's no way you should have to put up with that.

Thanks to all of you for all of the sympathy, help and suggestions. I looked up the lemon laws for CA. They tried to get me to take it home saying that BSOD happens often. If I had taken it home then they could have gotten out of the warranty. I took it in today and was finally able to talk to the Manager of Best Buy. He said that they will do a hardware check on it this time and see if that is causing the problem. I am NOT going to give up! SOMEONE is going to do something to fix the thing or give me a new one. I am going to write to Dell and let them know what problems I am having. I have no other software or peripherals - just the tower, monitor, mouse, and keyboard. I found that the Federal gov't has lemon laws for things like computers. As I understand it, the product has to have a history of failure and attempted repairs and the cut off seems to be 4 times. Well this is my fourth time. I will get all my paperwork together and documentation together so I can make a detailed complaint.
    You might want to do a little research on Dell. I believe they recently paid a hefty fine for knowingly selling computers they knew were defective. They felt it would be cheaper to fix them as they went down rather than do a recall. For my part, I started with Macs in 1985 and have rarely had problems. I had one Mac that went 9600 hours without a service call before I traded up. I now have a 3-year-old laptop (never required service) and a 3-year-old Mac mini (only service for special installations) on an 8-yr-old Apple monitor (never required service). Yes, you pay more for a Mac but it comes with much more software on it, is very reliable and Apple's service help is rated the best by outside rating companies.

It is a DEAD Dell.

Quote Originally Posted by darleneerickson
    what kind is it?

darlene

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bj
    Do you have a warranty on it? Is there a "lemon law" for computers? My husband's is starting to act pretty cranky, but his is getting pretty old. They may be saying it's your fault so they won't have to replace it.
    And---

Try the manufactor -make copies of all repairs and the cost with reciept of purchase they are more apt to help than the store of purchase

wow i have never heard of that i would demand another computer

I once bought a computer from best buys and after taking it in 2 or 3 times they gave me a new computer. I think you need to ask them about a lemon law and I dont see how this can be your fault. What store did you buy this at?

Bought a MAC it's not a pc so I really am not having many glitches

Bought at Best Buy and I told them that there was a Lemon Law and the "technician"? stated that it didn't cover computers. BUT I know that it does. I now have a history of problems and can now enforce something. Plus with all the great info I have gotten here I have been able to research more things that hadn't occurred to me. Thanks to all.

Quote Originally Posted by Linn
    I once bought a computer from best buys and after taking it in 2 or 3 times they gave me a new computer. I think you need to ask them about a lemon law and I dont see how this can be your fault. What store did you buy this at?

I had this happen. I wrote to the better Business Bureau and they stepped in. They talked to the computer shop owner and I got a chance to rebut what he said. The computer shop replaced the computer with a brand new one. In the first 6 months I had the computer, I had it at home for about 5 weeks. This was all in the computer shops records and I had written down every issue the computer had and the dates it was in the shop. Stand up for yourself. Sometimes, you get satisfaction.

Blog Entries
    I had problem with the GEEKS...finally ended up returning the computer and would never ever go back there.
    While waiting for service..I heard many unhappy customers and problems....

Call you local college or high school and you'll get someone to do the work right...

Mine does it regularly but only because my DS has a game installed on it that uses something called 'STEAM' to operate. I am negotiating with him to remove it because I am sick of it. Luckily mine does recover each time - so far!

Blog Entries
    I had three computers down at the same time. One had EQ on it and I was really in a panic. I called and got a price of $300.00 to fix one-I would have to mail it in and all that good stuff. Didn't like that so went on Craig's List to see about buying a used one and reloading whatever I could and restoring some of my data from backups. I found one and called the guy. I really lucked out. He said that all my data was still there and he would show me. Lugged three computers to the neighboring town and he showed me my stuff. I had him fix all three for $300.00.
    Now, this is the important part. He put three partitions on my hard drive. 1 with the restored Windows. 2 with all my data and programs. 3 with a Windows Restore Backup.
    Since then I have not had any virus issues on any of the computers. If I do, all I have to do is copy over the Windows Restore to the #1 partition.
    I did have to make sure that my programs sent my data to the 2nd Partition each time. I did lose my EQ palettes and user made blocks which was my mistake since I didn't have him go deep enough into the program to save them before he wiped the computer.
    And my web browser is Mozilla Firefox-much safer than Explorer.

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    Quote Originally Posted by bj
    Do you have a warranty on it? Is there a "lemon law" for computers? My husband's is starting to act pretty cranky, but his is getting pretty old. They may be saying it's your fault so they won't have to replace it.
    yes check the lemon law. I would go back and raise heck. speak to a manager and if you dont get help/replacement ask for His/Her boss. then the computer company too. HP is not a great choice IMO. Sony has never given me a problem. had it 5 yrs. yes it could be updated but it does everything I need it to. my HP died 2x before the warrenty was up. Best Buy replaced it. THAT one lasted just over 2 yr. GOOD LUCK

I worked as a data processor for 15 yrs, converted over to teleservice center for 11 yrs. We used to call it the blue screen of death. The computers would just sit there unused until new computers came in for the whole building. We were told the blue screen were "unfixable". Nothing anyone did, just something in the inner works of the computer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast