Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have The High Gas Prices Changed The Way You Live? >

Have The High Gas Prices Changed The Way You Live?

Have The High Gas Prices Changed The Way You Live?

Old 02-25-2011, 08:06 PM
Power Poster

Thats true! Quilts will be needed because it will cost so muchmore to heat your homes!
Old 02-25-2011, 08:56 PM

not too much yet, but it's about ro. I really can't complain--I last filled up around 1-1-11. I don't go much anymore.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:00 PM

Heating was much more a problem for me than gas is now. My elect. bill is 1200.00 this month, more than I make and I cant figure out why. Did nothing different this month than last.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:06 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

hubby & I were just giggling about that the other day, didn't realize how we've "ganged up" our errands now to save on gas. Saves a lot of time, too, to go from A-B-C-D-home... but make the time to see your mom. My mom and I were very close, and I lost her unexpectedly in '01... glad I popped in on her a lot, just for a hug if nothing else. I really miss her.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:09 AM

we also have reduced our driving barely leave the house course ten inches of snow is keeping us in too
Old 02-26-2011, 05:02 AM

On Wednesday AM, we filled up at $3.25 a gallon and by Thursday AM, it was $3.49. Watch for coupons that give you 3-5-7cents off. Drive in a circle to get your errands done and do it all in one day at one time. Make sure you don't have to run out and pick up a loaf of bread. And if possible, walk! Good exercise and let the oil companies know that we can get by without all their gas. If we can all cut back, it is going to hurt them in their pocketbooks and the price will come down, no matter what the Middle East is doing. Also, (and then I will get off my soap box) we can get all the oil we need right here in the US of A! We don't need their oil. Dag gum it, they think they have us by the short hairs here and we don't have to stand for it! I'll just keep going around in circles. Actually, I have done that for years. Get everything done on Friday morning and then we are set for the week. Get gas and top it off, to prevent condensation in the tank in cold weather.

Have a good day! Edie
Old 02-26-2011, 05:15 AM

DH looks after his 88 y.o. Mom who doesn't drive. Wed is "their" shopping day. He takes her where she needs to go and does most of our shopping while he is out. Then I can stay in and sew until I feel like going pickin for antique machines :-)

Or need fabric!
Old 02-26-2011, 06:25 AM

Having been born 4 months before the 1929 depression, I was raised to be frugal. In New York City, you walked or took the bus or train. In Florida, a car became a necessity. I always have combined my trips (usually reserve one day for everything and make detailed lists so I don't forget) and use the computer to make and sort them. I went from a city in Florida to the country so that makes it all the more imperative that I combine everything, including medical appts, etc. The only concession I don't make is my church on Sunday (20 miles each way). I have a Saturn station wagon and if I keep the trunk clear, I can get 27-28 mpg. Of course my visiting children diss my pantry as looking like a food warehouse but it seems they are the ones always looking to take some of it home because they are out of it. I look at it this way; by not having to spend time travelling, I have more time for my crafts.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:58 AM
j

Live in the city and still line up shopping in a row and come back home. Driving for fun is not like it use to be. --J.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Carrieanne, I'm with you! But the Mom thing- that is something I would not skimp on- but that's me.
I agree about visiting your Mom. I don't have mine anymore but I went to see her every chance I got. (She lived 650 miles away). I always used my vacation time to visit my parents. Now that they are both gone, I wish I had gone more. Can't get that time back!