Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have The High Gas Prices Changed The Way You Live? >

Have The High Gas Prices Changed The Way You Live?

Have The High Gas Prices Changed The Way You Live?

Old 02-26-2011, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
I am making my garden bigger too this year, and freezing more. I am sure the higher gas prices will cause the food to go up, too, because of shipping!
Grocery prices have already gone up around here. Last week I bought bell peppers 2/$1, this week=- $1.79 each. Head lettuce was 99¢ and is now $1.79 and at another store $2.10. We all may lose weight!! BTW our garden will be bigger this year too. We have had a garden and put veggies in the freezer for years. One thing, us older gals have been through hard times before- we can survive. Its the younger folks that don't know how to cut back. Sad!
Old 02-26-2011, 10:36 AM

Not yet! I live 3 miles from work and can get everything I "need" within a 3 mile radius from home. For years, I have bundled my errands and appointments to save time and gas. Having joined the fabric moratorium this year has cut my quilting fabric and supplies purchases to zero - so far. I am slowly simplifying my lifestyle which allows me more time to do what I love - be creative! I am SO THANKFUL I've gone through tough times before.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:37 AM

Yep, it puts a real damper on our lives, my old coot is an independent contractor and pays for his own gas, it eats a huge hole in the budget. I was working on paying everything off like credit cards and extras like that but am having to just pay the minimum now because of what has to go to the business, its a bummer!!!
Old 02-26-2011, 11:31 AM

It has here.We pay $1.50 a litre,which is about $5.50 a gallon.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:04 PM

Not really, I knew it would happen - it happens every time DH and I plan a long roadtrip! We're suppose to drive from PA to FL to look for a new house in March. First time prices went sky high we were planning a 6-month motorhome trip around the country. Last time they were so high I was "commuting" PA to CT every-other weekend taking care of my elderly folks! Hang in there, once we drive to FL and back, then drive back down for our move a few weeks later the price of gas will drop considerably. Sorry for the expense in the meantime....
Old 02-26-2011, 12:07 PM

I have always planned errands with a route that doesn't backtrack or go out of my way. Going to the bank - stop at the store. Going to the post office - stop at the library next door.

We all have to do our part to save fuel and help our pocketbook.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:17 PM

It seems we're all doing the same thing.....going nowhere. I used to think nothing of hopping in the car and going to Orlando to a quilt shop. Now I save up all my errands to make any trip out worth while. Today I noticed gas is up to $3.31pg. It's now less expensive to order online and pay shipping than to pay gas prices. At least you are assured the online source has the item.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:42 PM

My hubby and I have a 97 GMC PU. We get 13 mpg on the hwy and 8 mpg in town.We take care of my in-laws and THANK GOD !!!!!! my mil insists that we take her mini van to town.We filled up the truck last week and it cost $78.00.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:47 PM
Power Poster

On our way to a doctor's appointment this morning, DH and I were discussing that very topic. We are planning our stops so we make a loop and we started to cut back on unnecessary driving.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:54 PM

I guess now is when we start using up our stashes. We are all in this boat together and looks like we will have to become closer with each other. We may have to start sharing what we have and holding on to our faith to get us through hard times. Plant a garden.... share with those who don’t have and we will all be blessed for our kindness. HE will get us through these hard times IF we love one another as he loves us