Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Have a yard/garage sale or donate?

Power Poster

Have a yard/garage sale or donate?

For those of you that have had yard sales of "miscellaneious" household things -

in hindsight -

would you do the sale again

or

would you just pack everything up and donate all the "stuff"?

Blog Entries
    i just take it to a charity shop. much easier. I just want someone else to get some use out of what ever i give away. I hate trashing things.

If by "household" things you mean kitchen items and misc knick-knacks, I would just donate them. I recently had a yard sale that was pretty successful, but we had furniture items and tools which really draws people in. Those items sold well, the household stuff like a bread machine, panini maker, rotisserie oven did not sell.

You have to consider the time involved in hosting a sale -- getting ready, sitting through it and cleaning up afterwards. If you think you will get enough money to compensate for the hassle, go for it. For me, I would donate.
    "Accomplishment is a consequence of effort" -- Michael Crichton

As it so happens, I'm having a yard sale this Friday and Saturday, when over, I usually donate the leftovers to our local Humane Society. They're a lot of work, but fun and I love to go to them. I guess it would depend on how much misc. stuff you have, because I've been to several sales that I would consider them not worth while having.

I enjoy donating to a worthwhile organization.

There is a resale shop in my community staffed by volunteers where all the proceeds benefit children and adults with autism. My son has autism and attended a school run by this organization. It gives me great pleasure to support them.
    "Be brave enough to be who you really are.

Blog Entries
    been there, done that... now just donate everything
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-12-2018 at 02:55 AM. Reason: typo
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I would just donate it all. Last yard sale we had was alot of work, it was over by 10 am and we made about $75.00.

I can't be bothered. So much easier to take it to Goodwill.

I just take stuff I no longer want to Goodwill.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I dearly love yard sales! I held a few on my own and helped run them for churches. And, I love to go to them and buy stuff. But, since I got to be a little old lady, I donate stuff I don't want, need, or fit into. I used to volunteer at a local thrift shop so I take stuff there and I shop there, also. Did I tell you that I love them?

Power Poster
    I love to go to yard sales - I've gotten some great things on my "hunting expeditions"!

I'm just not so sure that I want to put out the effort to have one of my own.

I wouldn't bother with a garage sale for misc household stuff. My husband was cleaning out his dad and stepmom's house and said "We could have a garage sale". I was like "Have fun." I don't even sell our stuff when it's old. I just donate it to the next charity that contacts me. I have a couple bags and some individual stuff on my front porch now the the Houston Achievement Place. It'll be gone tomorrow
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini

It's never been worth it to me. I prefer to have the charity pick up from my porch when they're in the area, or take my stuff to either my favorite thrift stores or to a local church where the homeless appreciate certain items.

Blog Entries
    Salvation Army or trash.

I did a couple of yard sales about 20 years ago - when my mother passed away and I had to deal with her things I called in an Estate Sales business. She was in WA and I live in SO. CA, there were a lot of books and I did not want to deal with the sentimental feelings with everything. We now donate items and don't try to sell anything. I did 2 items on Craigslist and decided never again. I live 7 miles from the Border - so you are not going to make any money. The people that have thrift stores come very early - usually before they are supposed to be there and try to buy you out cheap. They will nit pick to get the price down - for me it just wasn't worth it to us.

Donate! I have never made enough cash to pay for the time and bother of a yard/garage sale of this kind of "stuff". Donate to a non-profit and you can write it off on taxes and that was/is just fine with me. The freedom from the burden of stuff is worth it.

Blog Entries
    Salvation Army is the quickest and easiest way for us.

Lot of work to prepare for. My mother moved to assisted living and I 'garaged saled' her things. Made $1100. Most times, I donate to church rummage sales.

Quote Originally Posted by gramma nancy View Post
    You have to consider the time involved in hosting a sale -- getting ready, sitting through it and cleaning up afterwards. If you think you will get enough money to compensate for the hassle, go for it. For me, I would donate.
    Totally agree with this sentiment. When my dad died a couple of years ago sibs and I had to clean out his house. Half lived local to dad; half out of state. There were not enough hours in my or bro #1 (t he out of staters) to do a yard sale - and frankly not much would have sold. We just donated anything usable to a couple of local places.

If you think you'd enjoy the yard sale experience, go with that. It can be fun. Also, some areas have a community sale which can make it much more worth your while.
    Otherwise, just donate it and be done with it.

Watson

Blog Entries
    We donate. A sale is a lot of work. Then people come and argue over the price set...so one has to play the psychological "game" of setting the price knowing it will not bring that. I'm too old for that hassle. Our church has a yard sale and so does my mom's church. So easy. Take the stuff to them, they deal with it and any "leftovers." This year the sale proceeds go to the abused women/children's center. Win-win!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in Minnesota View Post
    Salvation Army or trash.
    Salvation Army - if you have one close. The other organizations have CEO's that make ton's of $ from our donations.

Personally, I think yard sales are more trouble than they're worth. If I was moving and needed to get rid of a lot of things I would have a moving sale done by a professional. I had an estate sale done about 2 years ago and it was worth every penny I paid them. They came in and cleaned and organized everything. Priced it and took everything that didn't sell to one of the local charities. I made over $7,000. net. You have to pay the estate sale people a percentage of the sales but to have them do everything it's worth it.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

I’ve found some really good charities that I take my things to and I never have regretted it. No more Goodwill because they throw the most beautiful stuff in the Pound Store. I love shopping at the that store but I take my stuff to others.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast