Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have You Ever Cut Up a Chicken Fryer? >

Have You Ever Cut Up a Chicken Fryer?

Have You Ever Cut Up a Chicken Fryer?

Old 09-26-2013, 02:54 PM

They had a sale last Spring for chicken fryers at 49 cents a pound. I bought 70 pounds worth. Set up a series of stations on the counters, got out my chicken scissors and went to work cutting it apart for breasts, legs, thighs, stir fry. Didn't do it all that neatly because I then put the breast bones into a big pot and simmered. Got a lot of meat for chicken salad and soup. Refrigerated the meat as I froze individual sheets of meat in the freezer so that they could be put together into a ziplock for longer term storage. It wasn't that much work when you play an audiobook or music.

For me, saving the cash is all important. Going over my food budget means less for quilting, knitting and reading (Kindle/Nook). The biggest item is my food budget is nearly always meat, so if I can figure out how to save for some, I can afford the beef (at it's new high prices) now and then. For others, time is more of their issue.

Last edited by IAmCatOwned; 09-26-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:58 PM
Power Poster

I always use the backs for broth.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
I love chicken, hate it raw, can't eat it if I have to touch it. same with cows and pigs. would you stick your hand in a dead chicken, cow or pig on the side of the road. love eggs, can't cook them either, it's an aborted chicken. sooooooo, I gotta get the stuff pre cut.
Lynnie, the grocery store eggs are unfertilized, so no aborted chickens. The hens are kept away from any roosters.

When I was growing up, my parents always bought whole chickens and did the cutting, themselves. As a young child, my favorite piece was the neck (no idea why) but as I got older, it lost its appeal. Now I just buy chicken breasts.

Last edited by Neesie; 09-26-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:07 PM

I just learned how to properly butterfly a chicken for grilling last summer. It's an art and kind if fun. I also do cut up my own whole fryers occasionally. But, we're thigh lovers so usually by packages of thighs. If anyone is interested you tube has great how to videos of just about any cooking task
Old 09-26-2013, 07:59 PM

Have cut whole chickens apart for years. Usually buy several whole, them have at it. Use "parts" for broth, and LOVE the neck! We used to fight over the neck when we were kids!! Use a good pair of kitchen shears, not hard to do at all.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:17 PM

I learned to cut up a whole chicken when I lived at home. However, after marrying, I just buy packaged chicken breast. That's the part I eat and my husband doesn't eat any kind of chicken at all! Most places don't cut up a chicken like my mom always did with the "wish bone".
Old 09-27-2013, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by selm View Post
I've found that the young clerks(high school age) at the grocery store often don't know what a whole vegetable is eitheer(example: whole winter squash). The were like "what is this? What do you do with it? That really floored me. Aren't they fed any vegetables?
Thanks to schools who no longer offer "home ec" classes where kids learn how to plan and prepare nutritious meals. But the new football field gets funded! Yea, like every kid who plays a sport will become a Pro. Teaching Good life skills are not important.

sandy
Old 09-27-2013, 04:21 AM

I only use whole chickens. Rarely do I get already cut up chicken. I will buy extra legs or wing drummettes, but that's only if someone is coming for dinner. I can cut up a fryer in no time flat. I was watching one of those cooking shows the other day and the chef was showing how to cut one up. I was yelling, "Not like that!" It took him forever to cut that thing up. And then he thew the wings away!! The best part!!

I think whole chickens just taste better for some reason.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:54 AM

I don't usually buy whole chickens unless I'm planning to roast them or, sometimes, do a whole one in the crockpot. I haven't cut one up in a long time. Also, I buy organic and whole, organic chickens aren't always available. I prefer the breast but have found a few recipes for thighs that I like.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:06 AM

I learned how to cut up a chicken when my boyfriend was a cook at KFC back in 1960. He taught me how to do it and we never pulled anything apart unless we didn't cut a shred of meat. We had very sharp knives and chopped down hard. I have a DD and DIL's and I don't think they know how to do it nor would they do it. When whole chickens are on sale, I buy them but for a Hungarian Gulash meal I learned to make as a kid.