Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have you had your Thyroid checked? >

Have you had your Thyroid checked?

Have you had your Thyroid checked?

Old 06-01-2010, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

I had mine checked several years ago.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JanetM
I'm doing okay. The medication doesn't cure you or eliminate all the symtoms and other problems low thyroid can cause but it is necessary.

I just read my original post and I want to apologize for sounding so stern and preachy. The mother of a friend lost her life to this disorder which is so sad because it could have been prevented. Unfortunately, it isn't a routine test when you have a blood analysis..you need to ask for it. It is believed that a good many elderly people suffer from dementia because of undiagnosed hypothyroidism. Please protect yourself.
You didn't sound preachy at all !! Just caring, thank you honey!! :)
Old 06-01-2010, 06:23 AM

I agree. If you're feeling tired, gaining weight, depressed, weepy...it COULD be a thyroid problem. My dd (just turned 18) has had a helluva go the past few years, and we finally found out...hypothyroid. They're calling it thyroiditis, which basically means they don't know WHY but it should resolve on its own. Could be, could not be...but there has been a major change in the past year since we're treating the thryoid, and not "depression" which hypothyroid mimics.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:21 AM

Few months after my youngest was born (7 years ago) I started having symptoms but the Dr said it was depression. He prescribed Prozac and said to come back for a blood test if I wasn't feeling better. I got so mad. Instead I told him that I wanted the blood test first and if everything was OK there, I would take the Prozac. He got mad too, but did it. Two days later called me to go to the ER because my TSH levels were so high the machines could not put a number to it. I then laughed. If the blood sample was taken 2 days ago, why all of a sudden is and emergency? I just told him to call the pharmacy for a Rx and needless to say, I switched drs.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:33 AM

My physician suggested that all post menopausal women should have a thyroid test done every 6 months especially with a family history or symptoms or diagnosis of depression. He says that population the thyroid levels can change very rapidly.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:04 AM

I have been on Thyroid meds since I was 35.

I get it checked yearly.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:48 PM

I had a CT scan for an enlarged lymph node. Dr. told me the lymph node was fine but my thyroid needed to be biopsied. Who knew? Had a visible enlarged node in it and they biopsied it. Also aspirated it. Now go in every 6 months to have it checked. My aunt had thyroid cancer and had hers removed. She is 87 now and still doing fine.

Thanks for your reminder that we check out these things. Hope you are doing well and your meds are doing their job.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Power Poster

I have mine checked every year when I have my physical. Thanks for the heads up though.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Power Poster

Will do. Thanks
Old 06-01-2010, 04:14 PM

Many times after having a baby, we start to lose some of the hair that our body retained during the pregnancy. With me, I went in for a check up about 6months after DD was born and asked if I should still be losing hair, luckily my wonderful NP decided to run a thyroid screen and sure enough, my TSH level was thru the roof. I've been on meds for over 5 years now. I'll admit that I'm not always very good about remembering my meds but I'm trying to make a more concerted effort of late.