Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have you taken any online courses? >

Have you taken any online courses?

Have you taken any online courses?

Old 08-06-2011, 12:06 PM

I took a class from Quilt University. We didn't get grades. I liked it because I could work at my own pace. The teacher was available for questions and help, but the great thing was the students helped each other, too.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:32 PM

I took a couple of English classes when finishing my English degree. My two daughters have taken several classes when working on their AA and BA degree. I think online classes are convenient if you can't get to a college, but you sure don't get as much bang for your buck. So much of our learning comes from classroom discussions and with online classes one just doesn't get much of that. Many online classes ask you to comment on what other classmates have written, but you can't beat good old discussions. We learn so much from each other, not just from the instructor. Also, most online classes require a lot of writing. As a teacher, I think online classes are ripoffs.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:05 AM

As a former educator myself, I know that there are many different learning styles. For example, I am terrible at staying focused when my only option is to listen to an audio lesson. I prefer visual learning. Others learn best when getting their hands active in the learning.

Since we aren't all alike, I think the opportunity to learn online is another great resource for those who do best in this learning style. Being able to provide learners with a variety of teaching modes is one of the gifts of living in this century, in my opinion.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by renee765
As a former educator myself, I know that there are many different learning styles. For example, I am terrible at staying focused when my only option is to listen to an audio lesson. I prefer visual learning. Others learn best when getting their hands active in the learning.

Since we aren't all alike, I think the opportunity to learn online is another great resource for those who do best in this learning style. Being able to provide learners with a variety of teaching modes is one of the gifts of living in this century, in my opinion.
I absolutely agree. I also think online classes offer opportunities for people who have few other options. It is so hard to get into community colleges now.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by CloverPatch
I am doing online classes for Accounting. I really don't care for it, It really is just self teaching. The instructors dont' do anything! Any questions you have about the material, they just say it is in your book, go read it. Say you don't understand?... they say, go read your book, let me know if you have any questions. Hello!! I do have questions that why I emailed you!!
They are not allowed to help you with any of the subject matter, have random question about something related but not pertaining to, and they love to chat.
I would prefer in a classroom, so I can ask questions. Or have somthing I don't understand explained to me.
That is odd. I've always had live-classes where I could ask a question if I needed to. Starting my next term tomorrow and I'm looking forward to it. Sorry you had a bad time at your school. I don't think this is typical. Besides that I could attend "class in my jammies or naked if I wanted to. Bad hair days don't happen online. ;-)