Hearing aids

Old 09-01-2017, 06:19 AM

I first went to Miracle Ear, he did the test, gave me prices.

Then I went to Beltone. I liked the man better, but I understand that is a personality thing. He checked my ears before testing, took out a hugh wax glob. He asked me if the Miracle Ear guy looked in my ear at all. He did, but had not said anything about the wax. I think he was hoping for a poorer test because of it. After all, they are not doctors, they are salesmen.

But I did purchase Beltone and so far so good. I do hear more of the things that bothered me.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

Friends, it's really a good idea to see an ear doctor before getting hearing aids. I was referred to them by my primary care physician. They have wonderful doctors and audiologists who work together to give you the best for your situation.
I would stress to get the very best you can afford. Hearing loss not only is annoying and dangerous but it can be very isolating- not good for your emotional well being. I'm a nurse and say this from experience working with people, as well as not hearing well myself.
I hear everything now!!!
Old 09-01-2017, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

One other thing about hearing aids -- if you need two, you should wear both of them. And, the more you wear them, the better for your brain. The brain is stimulated by sound. Think of sound as exercise for the brain. It's not a good idea to wear a single hearing aid if both ears need them; it's like exercising just one side of your body. It's also not a good idea to try to wear hearing aids only for "company". At least, this is my understanding from trying to help my sister, who has hearing loss.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

I saw my Doctor last night actually. he said my auditory nerve is fine but i do have a small tumor on my pituitary gland that needs checking. sd i could have had this forever. I will call new Doctor Monday. then he sd i could wait until i feel the need for hearing aids. Texas gives patients 30 days to try them before being "stuck" with them. and he sd they have some loaners they can let me use to get used to them. For now i will wait (perhaps 3 yrs because my money is tied up). I hope you get the help you need. cost will be more than my husband paid for his around 1989, that's for sure. but they are so much better now, they should be worth every penny..
Old 09-01-2017, 12:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
One other thing about hearing aids -- if you need two, you should wear both of them. And, the more you wear them, the better for your brain. The brain is stimulated by sound. Think of sound as exercise for the brain. It's not a good idea to wear a single hearing aid if both ears need them; it's like exercising just one side of your body. It's also not a good idea to try to wear hearing aids only for "company". At least, this is my understanding from trying to help my sister, who has hearing loss.
Prism, you're absolutely right. My Mom got only one- what a mistake! She finally gave in to getting the other one. She didn't want to spend the money! She has plenty of money but wants to leave it all to her kids. We want her to spend some on herself! I wear mine from the minute I get up till bed (not in the shower haha)
Old 09-01-2017, 12:57 PM

Prism, you are exactly right. My husband's grandmother got hearing aids and wouldn't wear them except when people were around. She didn't want to spend the money for batteries. She said the hearing aids were no good, but it was really that she never wore them enough to get used to them. Put them in and wear them is the best way. I wear mine 14 to 16 hours a day and have had really good results because of it.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:39 PM

The tests are usually free.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:40 PM

A friend of mine who has severe tintinitus got hearing aids and her only complaint was that the birds were too loud. She hasn't heard them in years.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:43 PM

Thanks for the information. My hearing issues are similar to yours and they are on my list for this fall.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:35 PM
Power Poster

I don't have a hearing problem yet. My Husband does but doesn't want to be tested.

We have audiologist here that advertise the Starkey hearing aids.

Good luck to all that need them and to the people that have them.