Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: HELP!!--computer with mind of its own

HELP!!--computer with mind of its own

Occasionally my computer takes it upon itself to rid out my Inbox. Yesterday it deleted all of the emails in the Inbox since last November, including pictures of our newest grandbaby. Is there any way to retrieve those from "somewhere"?

Power Poster
    Brand and model of your computer?

What service do you use for your e-mail? (comcast.net, gmail.com, hotmail.com - etc.)

Blog Entries
    it has to be something in your settings in your email. Google deletes when I ask but they really are gone. in yahoo they stay in delete folder awhile which is great.

This is strange, the same thing happened to me. The emails where in the trash folder and I did get some of them back in my mail,but I didn't have time too do them all. Went back into the trash next time I was on and the rest of them were deleted and I know I didn't do it.
    Pat in MN

Blog Entries
    It may be a good idea to start moving emails you want to keep (such as the photo) into folders that you create. I doubt any email program would automatically clear user-specific folders.

Have you looked in the trash and junk folders (pretty standard on most email programs) to see if your emails are there?

A computer techie may be able to recover the emails if you cannot find them anywhere by means of your programs. They could still be on your hard disc somewhere.

I've had that happen. Went to reread an email, and it would be gone. Hate that!

Blog Entries
    I use a shutterfly to store my photo's offsite. I don't lose them that way. AND once I get a folder full, I copy them to a CD as well.
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

I agree with Prism99....create folders and store the emails you want to keep in them. I know hotmail will automatically delete messages in 'trash' and 'deleted' after a period of time but not inbox or other folder specific messages. I have messages in folders that are years and years old.

All my photos are stored on a 32 GB flash drive. I wouldn't trust any computer enough to keep them. Nor any 'site' that stores them. My photographs are priceless to me, especially the ones of my ancestors in the 1800's. You can also buy an external hard drive to store them. I love plugging in a thumb drive (as some call them), hit the slide button and watch your own slide show. Am scanning over 50 years of photographs, it's fun, so many people we forget about.

People gave you lots of ideas if you had the photo's but not a true solution. I have heard once on your pc then they are somewhere so if they are very important to you take machine to an expert like the Geek Squad at Best buy for them to retrieve. Tell them problem in beginning so they get a good guy to do it. In the process they may solve the problem. I believe some photos are worth the money. I had some deleted and sorry I didn't get them back --next time I wouldn't let hubby say not to do it.
    I love computers when they are working correctly.

It's possible your e-mail program is deleting older e-mails to make room for more. Try looking in your e-mail program - "tools/ e-mail options" & see if you have auto archive set to remove them after a certain amount. They are stored some place on your computer.

It is possible to get these emails back especially if you request within 7 days. Just google how to do it for your email provider. Basically you request your email provider to restore you account to how it was the day before your emails disappeared. I'm have done this with yahoo.

service provider did it

Quote Originally Posted by illinois View Post
    Occasionally my computer takes it upon itself to rid out my Inbox. Yesterday it deleted all of the emails in the Inbox since last November, including pictures of our newest grandbaby. Is there any way to retrieve those from "somewhere"?
    This week my service provider "decided" for some unknown reason to delete all my e-mails as well as my folders and contacts and start my e-mail all over. Starting last Monday I no longer had the past e-mails or contacts. They cleared out my address book and everything. I called customer service and complained and within 24 hours they restored everything. Try contacting your service provider, it may not be your computer.

Every computer I've ever touched had a mind of its own. Best Buy has tech support people who will come to your house!

I know with Outlook Express, the program will start deleting when I have passed the size of the file. Trying to keep up with the cleaning but one day I know that a big chunk will be gone.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Computers always have a mind of their own. You can't argue with them.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have come across a site called "Dropbox". I'm stillgetting used to it but am happy so far. you can share some folders you designate with certain people. Like living wills. Photos etc.