Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Help with figuering out Lining for a bag >

Help with figuering out Lining for a bag

Help with figuering out Lining for a bag

Old 06-10-2011, 12:51 PM

Hello,
I have been making some Schlep Bags http://sentimentalstitches.net/wp-co...schlep-bag.pdf and I have a question on the lining part.

I didn't make it the 8" square they asked, but instead I made it in a 5", 6" and 7" all different bags. And with the lining I have a horrible time trying to figure out what the dimension should be. The 8" bag calls for a lining to be cut as 2 squares at 22 and 1/4 each. Is there anyone that can tell me how to make adjustments to the lining for the bags I've made? Or at least how do I figure out how big the lining should be? I would really appreciate it! ;-)

Thanks,
Wanda
Old 06-10-2011, 01:10 PM

Wow, this is more complicated than I expected. Did you see the comment at the end of the instructions to see "So Sew Easy Twists" for instructions on changing the size? I'm not sure what "So Sew Easy Twists" represents -- hope you do, and that you find the info you need.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:16 PM

Can you flatten it out and measure the width? then measure the depth the same way. you may still have to tweek it a bit but you should have a close measurement
Old 06-10-2011, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

i just went and looked- and one way to figure it out would be to make the bag-as far as it goes before the lining- then measure it and adjust your lining peices to fit. remember to take seam allowances into consideration-
when i decide to try different bag sizes i usually try a sample with muslin just to get the sizes figured out. but since it is a pieced outside- it is different than just making an 8" bag into a 7" bag.--
you may want to try some scrap fabric and adjust until you get it right= remember to write down your measurments incase you want to make them again in a few months...
Old 06-10-2011, 01:20 PM

The so sew easy twist page does not give the sizes. I will try to flatten it out and see if that works. Thanks for you replies.