Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What did you like about Alaska? >

What did you like about Alaska?

What did you like about Alaska?

Old 06-07-2011, 06:58 AM

We are thinking about taking a trip to Alaska and want to do a land tour/cruise combination.

What were the highlights of your trip?

What experiences were the most memorable for you?

What would you recommend as definite "must dos"?

Thanks, in advance! :P
Old 06-07-2011, 07:14 AM

We only had time for a 7 day cruise, but during that time we took some side excursions. We loved the history of the gold rush and saw some cemeteries from the gold rush era.

We went on a whale-watching excursion and saw killer whales! That was very cool!

We liked watching the bald eagles and sitting on our balcony watching the planes land and take off of the water.

We are history buffs, so anytime there was a museum, etc., we went.

We wanted to fly to a glacier, but it was too expensive. :(
Old 06-07-2011, 07:34 AM

My mom has gone three times now, and she loved it each and every time she went. They saw different things each trip..but yet a few of the same things each trip also. I now know people that are heading to Alaska for 60 days. That should be a hoot.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:56 AM

We just got back ten days ago. We did a cruise/land tour with Holland America. We liked Denali best. I think we would have been disappointed if we just did a cruise. The scenery was great, and we found some interesting museums at the ports we stopped at, but the ports are also very touristy. (But there were quilt stores in several ports ). Perhaps we liked the land tour better just because the weather was better. It was a bit too chilly/rainy to be outside on the ship. But we had sunny days every day after we left the ship.

We did not do any excursions. They are very expensive. And we found that everything we wanted to do we could do on our own.

We left from Vancouver, and wish we could have spent more time there.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:21 PM

I lived in Sitka - often a stop on the ship excursions - as a travel OB contract nurse for a few months, and loved this little community. It is the site of the signing of the infamous Seward's Folly, also the location of the early Russian capital of the territory - lots of history.
Oh, & the fact that there is a quilt shop in Sitka helped make it nice too.
I watched whales, saw seals, saw many bald eagles, ate wonderful fresh salmon & shrimp.
Have fun if you decide to take a trip.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:38 PM

I'll say take a tourist ship to there. Because you get to see all the beautiful crafts that are make by the locals there. And get to know some of the awesome people. Go see the native museums and the Alaskans are real people I'm down here in the lower 48 and wait on enough monies to make it back home in Juneau. Do you have a big suitcase to stick me in there? LOL I hope you make the trip up there because it so beautiful you'll fall in love with the State!!
Old 06-07-2011, 05:23 PM

Several years ago we took a land tour. Flew to Anchorage, toured around there for a day or two, then took the train to Fairbanks, stopping in Denali - which you should NOT miss! The train from Anchorage to Fairbanks was awesome also. I think I like Fairbanks the best. We were amazed at the flowers and garden veggies. they were huge due to the long days during the summer. Hope you have a great time.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:43 AM

Thanks for your responses.

Yes, we are going to Denali and are taking the "train ride" that everyone talks about.

I'm still wondering whether the additional land excursions that the Cruise offers is worth it and which ones are the best.

I do hope we have good weather. Living in California, I have seen more rain (even in June) than I want to! :P
Old 06-08-2011, 05:34 PM

When we did the land tour/cruise thing. DH and a friend went to see the Sea Otters -- they left from Aleyaska -- it was a great side trip.

We took the bus tour of Denali, walked all over Fairbanks, went to North Pole just out of Fairbanks and walked Anchorage. We took the train up from Skagway.

I am attaching a couple of pictures -- hope it works.

Sea Otters floating on ice
[ATTACH=CONFIG]208879[/ATTACH]

Train ride from Skagway
[ATTACH=CONFIG]208880[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-208873.jpe   attachment-208874.jpe  
Old 06-08-2011, 05:36 PM

We have had great weather and lousy weather. Have a friend in Fairbanks and she has been having 80 degree weather and misquitos.