Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Help for a friend that had stroke >

Help for a friend that had stroke

Help for a friend that had stroke

Old 03-26-2013, 02:55 PM

What about a felting machine, she could make the designs on the blocks and maybe someone could put the blocks together for her. She would be able to do that with one hand. Some of them can be fitted with a switch to stop and start it, and since a felting machine doesn't have any thread in it you don't have to worry about it getting jammed up.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:46 AM

I have read the responses and agree with many others that it may no longer be possible to sew. She certainly could try some of the different ideas that were posted but she shouldn't get her hopes too high. She could look at it more as a challenge to work on.

I also agree with the person who said she would feel good if she could help others. If there was any way for her to get names of others in the community who are in a nursing home or who are elderly and very alone, maybe she could send them short notes just to say "hello." If she wasn't comfortable using her own name, she could sign them "your secret pal or secret friend." There are also children's homes, or even children in her community, where the kids love getting mail. Just a couple lines is all you need and kids are thrilled. You can even find plenty of kids knock knock jokes or other clean jokes on the internet that you can print out and add to the letter. I sent them to my grandkids. There are also clean "senior" jokes you could print out to insert in the letters to the elderly. So many elderly feel forgotten and she could be the sunshine in their lives.

There are also lots of chicken soup type books out there that might keep her spirits up. I buy them for my 93 year old mother and have them sent directly to her and she really enjoys them because they are short stories and easy to read. I would be happy to share some titles if you PM me. I get them on Amazon for a penny plus the $3.99 shipping or sometimes I find them on Ebay for even less.

In some small communities, there is a bus that will pick up the seniors and take them to a center for lunch or just time together. I live in a very small town in northern NY and the little bus takes them to the next town for groceries and a stop at the drug store every other week. The driver assists those who have trouble getting around. She might try getting together with others for the commraderie. Or, if she feels up to it, she could invite someone else over for tea. Nothing fancy - just ask them over to chat. Lots of lonely people out there, especially those who are elderly.

I think I've rambled enough. This lady is very fortunate to have you as a caring friend. The suggestion that she join the quilting forum is a great one. There is so very much on this forum. I'm new and still finding more and more "stuff." Good luck to you and your friend in finding just the right thing for her.
Carol
Old 03-27-2013, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

This saddens me that so many are saying "she can't".
Whatever happened to positivity?

Yes, ITA (and said earlier) that this lady may not be able to quilt/sew to her previous expectations and standards. However, with the little information we know about this person, I don't feel that any of us should be ruling out that "SHE CAN"!

By all means, help her find her way, to re-gaining her previous pleasures.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:27 PM

OH my, I wish I would of seen this when it first come out not 4 yrs later. My husband had a stroke just like this lady and he had never touch a sewing machine in his life. But he wanted to learn to sew and he made quilts. and his work was beautiful . He used a rotor paper cutter to cut his strips with and he used a reg. sewing machine to sew on. With one hand. Yes there was times when I would have to help him but in the most part he did it on his own. He sewed the big tops together and I did the quilting and binding on them. Yes it can be done.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:01 PM

DEFINITELY ask if you and she can work together with an Occupational Therapist on this problem--I have a good friend that is an OT and it's always amazing the exercises,tools, and techniques she comes up with to help people regain their previous level of ability. you didn't say if she's right or left handed--but assuming she's R handed, a new machine that has the needle up/down and speed control, along with start/stop button so you don't have to use a foot pedal,drop in bobbin, may be needed--they are out there without costing 2 arms and 2 legs! precuts or having someone else cut up a kit; using a needled threader (just saw one on FB to use with your machine) or having a friend pre-thread, help with pressing or using a mini-iron. If she's R handed, it will take her some time to learn to use her L with any precision. Another idea is to cut some foundations for her to machine sew crazy quilt blocks using fancy stitches on a machine. (sew and flip) good luck-you are a good friend. But definitely work with an OT!