Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help! Hubby tracked black dirt onto beige carpet!

I was able to clean up the main rug (Its pretreated) but the area rug at the door will not come clean. I tried vinegar and water mix then resolve. All I've managed to do is make a big gray spot. There are still a few footprints left that I haven't touched yet. (The area rug was bought at wal-mart and is not treated)
    Thanks!
    Hubby said roll it up and toss it but who wants to spend money on a new area rug when it can get spent at the fabric store??? silly man!

ca you make it all the same color?

Is it too big for your washing machine?

Blog Entries
    Try using Dawn dish soap... squirt it on and rub it in, let sit for about 30 minutes and then wet and rub some more before rinsing. Dawn works great on clay soil, grease, etc... :wink:

Oh dear! I feel for you!
    DH got all upset about spots on our carpet after everyone was here for Christmas. He cooled right off when I reminded him that it was his boots that did it :lol: I use Resolve and it seems to get most stains out. Good luck!

I've had good luck with Dawn, as amma said. It works on the greasy spots. Resolve never seemed to do it.

try using Top Shot..I believe that is what it's called. It's a spray can that is orange with a blue lid. It works great for us, especially in the high traffic areas.

if it's not real wool, try - dare i say it? - bleach. then don't let him in ever again. LOL!

Banned
    Send his butt packing!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    invest in a steam cleaner!

Oxy clean will probably get it out. It's my "go to" solution when everything else doesn't work. Make a paste (a little oxyclean and some water). Rub it in and wait until it dries, vaccuum. Repeat if necessary.

Blog Entries
    You could try the Resolve heavy duty carpet cleaner and let it sit for as long as it says to (I usually get in a hurry)...or you could just shoot your DH, then buy a new rug with the money saved from feeding and clothing him. Wouldn't want to dip into fabric money!

Quote Originally Posted by marsye
    Send his butt packing!!!!!!
    LOL:)

Quote Originally Posted by crkathleen
    I was able to clean up the main rug (Its pretreated) but the area rug at the door will not come clean. I tried vinegar and water mix then resolve. All I've managed to do is make a big gray spot. There are still a few footprints left that I haven't touched yet. (The area rug was bought at wal-mart and is not treated)
    Thanks!
    Hubby said roll it up and toss it but who wants to spend money on a new area rug when it can get spent at the fabric store??? silly man!
    Try using a white shaving cream, like Barbasol. I apply it on all kinds of carpet spots. Dirt, coffee, animal, etc. Just let it sit for a few minutes before removing, with a water soaked towel. Then blot.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The best solution for clean carpet is hardwood floors! Carpets look elegant and are so much warmer, but just for the problem you are having, I'm glad mine are gone.

When we moved to Texas, and into a rental home, the Landlord told us though the carpets had been "professionally cleaned" we would just have to live with the giant, brown stains in the upstairs bedrooms because they were not coming out and the Owners weren't prepared to replace the carpet.
    I bought Folex carpet cleaner (comes in a spray bottle, plastic, non-aerosol) and it took out ALL the stains, even the ones that looked really old.
    You spray it on, rub with your fingers, then pat and press around with a clean cloth...this stuff is amazing! I would recommend you try it!

Blog Entries
    Next time get GRAY carpets. They do not show a lot of dirt and THEY ARE THE COLOR OF DUST. Keep the husband as they are good for a lot of things.

Try Woolite rug cleaner.

I have been able to get Georgia red clay out of our gray carpet using 409 (and lots of elbow grease, of course). Don't know about black dirt, but might be worth a try. (As far as I can tell, Fantastik and Simple Green are about or exactly the same as 409.) Although it is primarily a grease/grime remover, 409 will take mud stains out of clothing as well, when nothing else seems to work.

i use simple green and vinegar mixed together whenever we shampoo our carpet it works wonders...the vinegar brightens and kills the ordor and the simple green gets the grease and dirt out...u might try this...

I live in Missouri we have dollar general stores. not a dollar only store although dollar tree also sells this product. it's called "awesome" it is a golden color works great on almost anything. it's amazing. it's a concentrate but can be used straight out of the bottle for really tough stains. it takes car grease out and mold off of vynyl siding and spots out of clothes and carpets.it cuts right through kitchen grease. Best part is it sells for about $1 a bottle almost a qt. like I said you even delute this for general cleaning. just spray it on wait about 5 min. rub with a soft brush and wipe up dirt with clean damp cloth.good luck Mary

i buy an off brand of simple green at the Family Dollar store it cost 5 bucks here and it works the same and smells the same dont remember the name but its good and its in a gallon jug

Try mean green works wonderful on stains for me . Also this is a product at the dollar tree that is very good on grease . the name is --awesome--the man at the oreck store told me about it will desole grease in a matter of seconds

If you have Norwex cloths, they do a great job getting dirts out of carpets. Lots of elbow grease but it will save the $ to be spent where it ought to be...at the fabric store!

Blog Entries
    Don't know if you want to try this but my niece just got off some blue frosting stains from a white child's pj with 1 qt water, 1 T vinegar, 1 t. detergent. Let me know ifyou try it, how it works.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast