Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Help - I dyed my washing machine red! >

Help - I dyed my washing machine red!

Help - I dyed my washing machine red!

Old 10-06-2012, 11:52 AM
KLO

Originally Posted by Nanamoms View Post
I didn't have the same exact problem with dye staining my washer BUT, simple instructions were printed on the underside of the lid and it RAN AND FADED!! I can't imagine what made it do that as I've only used All Free and Clear, Downey Free and Clear and Shout around the machine. There was no fading/running in the tub itself. Very strange!! My machine is a GE Top Loader and is less than 3 moths old. Makes me irratated!
Hey Nanamons, The same thing happened to my GE Top Loader. Mine is about 3 or 4 years old so I guess they haven't fixed this problem yet. I could not imagine what made it do that. GE must have used a non-permanent "paint" to put that info. on the lid. I do spray Shout on stain spots and wondered if that could have made the lettering fade/run as the spray might have hit the lid as I sprayed? Maybe that is what happened to you too???

Sunquilts, Good luck with getting that stain out. I would imagine if the bottom part is plastic, it might fade over time but not disappear as it seems plastic takes on stains and keeps them. I guess you could keep the lid closed (which I usually don't do) or hopefully your washer is secluded from probing eyes .... except for your of course. Sorry that this happen to such a young machine!
Old 10-07-2012, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
No help here - but I also just washed and dried and washed and dried many yards of red flannel and it is now in the bottom of the outdoors cat bed - it never quit bleeding - after 6 different water changes, rinses, etc. Just not worth it to me to ruin whatever else I would have sewn with it - so DH said - just throw it out. Now the cat is really comfy. Don't know if it was mine or a friend of mine's - I inherited some of her stash after she passed away. Rescued it actually - after her DH told me that he had spent the past 2 days burning all of her fabric and sewing things. All I got is what plastic totes that she had in a big closet - he burned all of the bolts that she had in bookcases, etc. Oh yes, I got all of her books - guess that they were hiding from him.
such sacrilege!!! oy!
So glad you were able to rescue some of it!