Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP!!! I have never had a TOY

Banned
    Blog Entries
    DOG...as in a MINI Dachshund!

She is 1 yr and has bad habits already....
    but my gosh...I am scared of her..so are my other dogs..a standard doxie and a cocker mix...Diasy the Diva is a power house of energy being expelled 24/7!

I need a carry bag, and a seat basket for the car...are there patterns for such things...

it is amazing how terrified I am of this 7# dog!

Daisy the DIVA dog next to a toy dog...
    Name:  Attachment-225121.jpe
Views: 39
Size:  49.1 KB

Blog Entries
    Oh my gosh...I had a dog like that years ago...I truly hated that dog...I was so glad to give it to a new home!!

Is she a nippy one? I have a 7# maltese and he can easily move toward "small dog syndrome" if allowed - thinking he owns the world. He has to be reminded I'm the alpha. I'm not accustomed to having to use my growly voice and mean look LOL Time out in his kennel for a minute each time he got snippy with me or our 40# dog worked well.

Blog Entries
    LOLOLOLOL - your too funny! Most little dogs feel the need to establish themselves and they terrorize their owners (and they KNOW they are doing it). Keep a blanket handy (forget using a quilt) and when she gets to be too much to take, toss the blanket over her (covering her head) and hold her tightly, telling her what a good girl she is until she is too pooped to fight back. When she's done playing games give her a yummy treat and let her go. The reason for the blanket is to prevent YOU from being bitten. Way back I had a little 4# Yorkie that nobody wanted because she was a raging terror (I took her because she was such a little beauty) and it took 5 "blanket" teatments until she realized it was her nasty attitude that was getting her in trouble. Don't be afraid of her (easier said than done, huh?) because you have to impress on her that YOU are the Queen of the household. Good luck - she's only 1 year old so can be convinced that her behavior is NOT acceptable.

Don't know much about dachshunds, but she is sure a cutey!

LOL What a cutie! Aside from physical needs that might differ with very small dogs (like jumping from a tall bed, etc.), you should treat her like any other dog, large or small. They don't really think about size - it's about personality and "energy' with all dogs, and letting them get away with murder because they're small will only lead to more badness. ;)

Blog Entries
    Go to the pet store and buy several "calming collars" for him. They worked wonders on my Bichon. Also, a little benadryl for trips. Slowly, they calm down

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kooklabell
    Is she a nippy one? I have a 7# maltese and he can easily move toward "small dog syndrome" if allowed - thinking he owns the world. He has to be reminded I'm the alpha. I'm not accustomed to having to use my growly voice and mean look LOL Time out in his kennel for a minute each time he got snippy with me or our 40# dog worked well.
    NO...not nippy, snippy, etc...BUT she does think she is ALPHA...we got her yesterday and I have actually spent most of today teaching her that "I" am the ALPHA everything in this household....

She does not respond to her name at all...yet I know she knows I am talking to her..doxies tend to ignore you quite well...

she was allowed to bark at you and then expects to JUMP up into your arms...NOT...not only do I not respond to being barked at, I do NOT allow my dogs to jump at anything/anyone/anytime...PERIOD...

She also thinks if it is in the house it must be HER chew toy...again, NOT...so she gets a firm NO, a finger on her nose and a toy put in her mouth and then time in the crate...

We are most terrified of STEPPING on her...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieR
    LOL What a cutie! Aside from physical needs that might differ with very small dogs (like jumping from a tall bed, etc.), you should treat her like any other dog, large or small. They don't really think about size - it's about personality and "energy' with all dogs, and letting them get away with murder because they're small will only lead to more badness. ;)
    yes...I believe the PRINCESS/DUCHESS/DIVA here was allowed to do as she darn well pleased....it is BAD!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by frauhahn
    I am more of a DOG person..not a TOY person..hehehe

I really wanted to replace our Golden retriever with a yellow lab...sigh..I got hood ornament instead!

cute little dog.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Jacquie,she is so cute!
    When I was in high school I babysat for a family with a Dachshund- that dog loved me to death!! And I loved her right back :)
    She sat on my lap all night long while I was yakking on the phone and the kids were asleep LOL

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by frauhahn
    I am more of a DOG person..not a TOY person..hehehe

I really wanted to replace our Golden retriever with a yellow lab...sigh..I got hood ornament instead!
    Sounds to me like you've got a bigger dog than any Golden I ever saw! :lol:

Sounds like a dog for the Dog Whisperer. Have you read his books? Stand your ground with the little one..you will do it.

Quote Originally Posted by mzmama
    Sounds like a dog for the Dog Whisperer. Have you read his books? Stand your ground with the little one..you will do it.
    :thumbup:

She is a doll. I have two mini's and a two pound yorkie. love them to death. I had a male that looked identical to her and he came running up to the truck and I didn't see him and caught his head with the tire. That was three years ago and I still miss him and cry over being the one to hurt him. Stand your ground he will come around. he will love you to death no questions asked.Wish I had my buddy back.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like you have your work cut out for you girl. And I don't envy you at all. But i'm sure everything will work out in time. Best of luck.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by julia58
    Sounds like you have your work cut out for you girl. And I don't envy you at all. But i'm sure everything will work out in time. Best of luck.
    YES and me facing out of country company due this week, a trip to TX coming up on the 23 and a craft show on the 30th..sigh...

think I might just need a baby sling for her..hehehehe

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sgraves1959
    She is a doll. I have two mini's and a two pound yorkie. love them to death. I had a male that looked identical to her and he came running up to the truck and I didn't see him and caught his head with the tire. That was three years ago and I still miss him and cry over being the one to hurt him. Stand your ground he will come around. he will love you to death no questions asked.Wish I had my buddy back.
    First let me say, I am truly sorry for your loss...
    THis is part of why I am so afraid of small dogs..especially THIS small..

growing up we had a Chihuahua..one day, she was about 12yo and I did not know she came out the front door with me..I went to move my car into the yard to wash it and ran over her..."I" killed the family dog while the family was away in TX for a funeral!

I don't think I have ever gotten over that...

OH and that dog walked with a limp all of her life, because when we got her she was chasing us around the yard and "I" tripped over her breaking her leg...sigh...I really don't like TOY dogs...so why did hubby think I really needed this one???

Dee
    She is testing you. You have to show her who's the alpha.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee
    She is testing you. You have to show her who's the alpha.
    yep she jumped up at my face twice this morning (she was on my bed and I was dressing) and she was firmly planted on her back with my teeth glaring at her face....she did not do it again...

AND she just came in here and instead of jumping at me to get on my lap, she sat down and licked my leg..hehehe

YEAH...a small victory...but it shows she is NOT stupid...

Blog Entries
    Ah! I was just going to suggest flipping her on her back, "grabbing" her throat and bared teeth growling "NO" at her! Not grabbing as in choking or anything else that would actually cause harm...but pinching (not tightly, it's not needed) and shaking a bit.
    It's worked with every dog I've tried it with...that and consistancy.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Ah! I was just going to suggest flipping her on her back, "grabbing" her throat and bared teeth growling "NO" at her! Not grabbing as in choking or anything else that would actually cause harm...but pinching (not tightly, it's not needed) and shaking a bit.
    It's worked with every dog I've tried it with...that and consistancy.
    it was scary to do it, but she was on the bed so I know it would not hurt her..
    I have even bitten ears before...I AM THE ALPHA....even my golden knew that..and the pitbulls next door!..though they were sort of MUSHY pitbulls...eheheh

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by sgraves1959
    First let me say, I am truly sorry for your loss...
    THis is part of why I am so afraid of small dogs..especially THIS small..

growing up we had a Chihuahua..one day, she was about 12yo and I did not know she came out the front door with me..I went to move my car into the yard to wash it and ran over her..."I" killed the family dog while the family was away in TX for a funeral!

I don't think I have ever gotten over that...

OH and that dog walked with a limp all of her life, because when we got her she was chasing us around the yard and "I" tripped over her breaking her leg...sigh...I really don't like TOY dogs...so why did hubby think I really needed this one???
    I grew up in the country and our neighbor had 7 children in 12 years (I babysat for all of them!) The had a little mutt dog that was no bigger than 4 lbs and her name was Daisy. Well, this dog survived all 7 children, who were rough and tumble bunch, being hit by a 3 wheeler (walked on her front legs for about 4 months, getting impregnated by a shepherd/husky mix only to need a c-section and losing the two puppies that each were 1/3 her size. One day, the neighbor lady and all the kids were in the yard, picking the stones out of the grass so the husband could mow grass. The neighbor lady took a stone about the size of a spool of Coats thread and tossed it in the air, towards the stone driveway. Well, it didn't hit the driveway; it came straight down onto poor Daisy's head and killed her, in front of all 7 children!! What were the odds????

A few weeks after gettin my little Doxie when she was 5 weeks old I called her the dog from hell. Several months later she began to calm down and now she is the perfect pet, my best friend and my shadow. Give yours a little longer to adjust to the household and maybe she will change her personality too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast