Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help! I'm Paint'in My Kitchen

Help! I'm Paint'in My Kitchen

Do you want come and Help?
    No what I really Want Help With Is What Color to PAINT My WALL's. This is the Problem I've got a 1932 house and a sun room connected to the kitchen thats Bright yellow. I'm Going to Paint the Old wood Cabinets Bright White, But Just Don't Know What to Paint the Kitchen Walls? Help!!
    May Your Life Be Full of Charity and Love.

Blue might be nice!
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

I vote for blue too!

Diannia
    I am too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed!

Blog Entries
    Several sites have access to pair up paint colors. Click on a color, then a page comes up that shows color combinations. Here is one site:

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/f...llery#&ce_vm=0

Blog Entries
    how about a pale yellow. i love a yellow kitchen
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    How about a turquoise or match the yellow and carry it thru the kitchen.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    A pale yellow. Usually kitchens have lots of heights, textures and busy places for eyes to go, so mellow colors are easier on the eyes and mood.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I painted my older kitchen a pale yellow for the walls and cabinets and white on the cabinet doors. I love it!
    Mary

Blue goes well with yellow.

A pale yellow with a soft white on the cabinets.

Blog Entries
    Celery green
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

I just finished painting my kitchen! What a job! I went with 2 colors, chocolate and red. I bought a bunch of paint swatches from the store to help me make up my mind. Also if you have a sample of your yellow to take to store with you helps too. I think something in a sage green color might be pretty but I am not a blue person. Enjoy your results!

Blog Entries
    Sage green goes well with pale yellow easy on the eyes

I'd carry the yellow through, but maybe a softer shade than the bright yellow in the sunroom. In my experience, light blue sometimes tends to show up as gray in corners and angles.
    Wendy in VA

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.

You really didn't give enough information. What other rooms can be seen from your kitchen? What color is the countertop? What color are the appliances? What type/color is the floor? Do you eat in your kitchen? IF so, what is your kitchen table like and what do your dishes look like? Are you willing to repaint your sunroom? Do you love the bright yellow sunroom? How much wall space is in your kitchen? If you paid an interior decorator to come to your home to help select a color for your kitchen walls these are all questions that she would ask and the answers would help decided the new color.

I would paint the cabinets white that way you can paint the walls any color and change your mind at any time. If you go with blue cabinets you're stuck with matching the blue color. just mho

I have blue walls, with all my accessories being blue and yellow.
    Amythyst

Find a curtain, tablecloth, dishes, anything you like or love..and take a color from that! If it's a strong color, just do a wall or the bottom of all walls ( then get your husband to do a chair rail!! : ) Have fun!

Blog Entries
    Yellow goes with just about any color. But if your sunroom is bight yellow I would pick a softer color for your kitchen. And maybe do a little accenting in the kitchen with the bright yellow in pictures or nick nacks.
    Go to your paint store and pick up some of the color samples you think you might like and tape them up on the wall and look at them at different times of the day. Because light changes in a room threw out the day and your colors will look a little different. Then decide which one you like best. I do this when ever I paint and I have changed my mine on some colors I thought I would like because of the way they look in a room at night time. Paint isn't cheap so if you make several trips to the paint store for paint chips it will be worth your effort. It sound like you like bright happy colors so paint it what ever color you would like you are the only one that has to be happy with it.

I'd either due a pale sky blue (careful its not a 'cold' blue) or a paler yellow, and keep the ceiling, trim and cabinets a soft white. Wouldn't that be lovely with a yellow/blue/white plaid or nice floral for curtains, table cloth, etc., to tie the two rooms together? White can be gray tones, peach/pink or blue if not careful. Benjamin Moore has a "dove white" that is lovely -- used that on all our trim, ceilings & doors throughout the house including the cabinets in my quilt room, and its a really nice soft white. Here in the Pacific Northwest you have to be careful with colors or its too drab all winter when its gray outside.
    Last edited by DebbE; 09-19-2012 at 06:07 AM. Reason: fingers didn't keep up with the brain! : )

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by icon17 View Post
    Do you want come and Help?
    No what I really Want Help With Is What Color to PAINT My WALL's. This is the Problem I've got a 1932 house and a sun room connected to the kitchen thats Bright yellow. I'm Going to Paint the Old wood Cabinets Bright White, But Just Don't Know What to Paint the Kitchen Walls? Help!!
    Green - They have 30's greens (they are on the soft side, but nice). If you want the same as your sun room - you could do a yellow (but also make it more of a soft 30's yellow). Look at retro-fabric for your colors if you still are unsure of what you want. You can take in fabric and they will match it at the paint store. Good luck, please post pics after your done.