Help with label

Old 10-08-2019, 03:09 PM

Default Help with label

I am making a quilt for a new great-niece. Her great-grandma was my best friend and sister-in-law who passed away several years ago. Her grandkids, including the daddy of this new baby were the light of her life. Somehow I want to include her in the label on the quilt. I'm hoping to get a piece of fabric from her clothing to use for the label, but still want to include her name somehow. Not so creative with writing though. So far I have thought of how she would give the baby the moon and the stars if she could. Maybe I can work with that, Just trying to think here. If anyone has an idea, I would surely appreciate it.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:20 PM

This sort of thing is not the sort of thing I'm best at but I see different visions of an arch of stars and moons, whether embroidered or a piece of fabric and simply written/embroidered that "Great-grandma (name) gives you the moon and stars" written along top of the arch. Or I see a simple circular figure/outline of a head/neck and arms outstretched in more of a circle, again containing or offering the moon and stars and having her name written there.

With my poor handwork skills, I'd probably print in my best bad printing her name and a star on either side or include the story in the card I gave with quilt. Kids love to hear repeated family stories.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:24 PM

If it's not too much printing or however you decide to make the label, could you do something to the effect 'for (great-niece name); great granddaughter of (insert name); granddaughter of (name); daughter of (parents names). Made by (your name) great aunt? Kind of a family tree type of label without having to come up with lots of creative writing?? Just a thought.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:39 PM

My mother told me she had saved a piece of fabric of a dress she made for my oldest sister back around very early 1950. She wanted to make sure I know about it because most people would just throw it out since there wasn't even a 1/2 yard left. It was a Disney fabric with the 3 Little Pigs and the Big Bad Wolf. My sister passed away before her twin grands were born. And my mother passed the month before the twins were born and she was never a quilter. So I looked for and found the fabric and put it into the quilts for the twins. When I gave the quilt to my niece I told her about the fabric and made sure she knew the reason I used it. I wasn't so concerned about putting it in a label but maybe if you wrote a note explaining the relationship and you were making the quilt as their great-grandmother's proxy it would be easier than making a label.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:49 PM
Power Poster

maybe not what you're asking for, but i made my son a quilt for his 25 birthday. It was asian themed, and i did a lot of research. ex. i put a koi on a block. i researched what color was the most valuable and what direction he should b e swimming in. thias also symbolized. I went with black because they have bad vision, and don't get as much food as the others who had better vision. so a large koi is quite valuable. swimming in different directions also had a meaning. so this one was swimming up.
on the back, i wanted the label to have meaning too. it took me 2 months to figure out what to put on the label. Like the front of the quilt, i had kanji lettering. so on my label, i had the symbol for son. i appliqued it on, and usinig my emb machine, i wrote the sentiment.

good luck and let us know what you do.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:07 AM

I put this poem I made up on two labels for quilts I am finishing for a friend of my daughter. They are made from shirts that belonged to the friend's dad who passed away when she was 20, so her children never knew him. "Here is your quilt to keep you warm through life's storm. May your smile be bright as you cuddle up tight and sleep under this quilt with 'hugs' from Grandad tonight." You may do something like this, or use this poem or part of it if you want to. I never plan to make quilts from shirts again too hard to get enough fabric in my opinion.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:20 PM

Thanks for all of your thoughtful replies. I really appreciate it. I think it will take me some time to figure this out. Just starting the quilting and baby isn't due until early January. I had hoped to have it done for the shower, Nov. second but that may not happen. Spent my "sewing" time this afternoon taking out the FMQ I did yesterday afternoon. Then cataract surgery scheduled Oct 23 and Nov 6 with the usual pre-op appointments, etc. Will let you know how it works out. Thanks again.