Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me name my dog

I just received a dog that was going to be put to sleep because he is deaf. He is ten weeks old and a Boston Terrier.
    I would like to have you help me name him. He will be a husky fellow when grown and don't want a sissy name. Any suggestions???? If anyone has ever worked with a deaf dog I could use some advice. I ordered a book called "living with a deaf dog" so I hope it will help. ( I lost by browser while typing so I hope this doesn't post twice)
    Attached Images Attached Images

How about Keller...a distant relative of Helen Keller.

Blog Entries
    Bless your heart for taking this baby and the challenge that will go with him! Bostons can be a handfull when they can hear, this one will just take extra lovin'! :)

Samson...Sam for short! :)

saf
    Quote Originally Posted by rita222
    I just received a dog that was going to be put to sleep because he is deaf. He is ten weeks old and a Boston Terrier.
    I would like to have you help me name him. He will be a husky fellow when grown and don't want a sissy name. Any suggestions???? If anyone has ever worked with a deaf dog I could use some advice. I ordered a book called "living with a deaf dog" so I hope it will help. ( I lost by browser while typing so I hope this doesn't post twice)
    How about Max because you will get the maximum amount of love for the minimum amount of effort. My dog lost her hearing about 2 years of age. Not quite the same situation as yours but she and I manage very well. Everything is done by signs and signals. She will be 9 next month and has always been a very happy well adjusted dog and a very loving companion. I wouldn't change her for the world.

Quote Originally Posted by rita222
    If anyone has ever worked with a deaf dog I could use some advice. I ordered a book called "living with a deaf dog" so I hope it will help. ( I lost by browser while typing so I hope this doesn't post twice)
    Good for you!! And that baby is a cutie, no matter what you choose to name him. You might want to try this book: HEAR HEAR! - A GUIDE TO TRAINING A DEAF DOG - I found it on http://www.dogwise.com/ and you can preview some of the book there.

He is a cutie for sure! My sister's Boston is named RugRat and called Ruggie for short. Guess what he started chewing on as soon as she brought him home..lol. I like the name Max!

I'd name him Signal, he's awesome and glad he has a good home.

Quote Originally Posted by emerald46
    He is a cutie for sure! My sister's Boston is named RugRat and called Ruggie for short. Guess what he started chewing on as soon as she brought him home..lol. I like the name Max!
    Sometimes it is good to be cautious about choosing a name - it can be self fulfilling. :lol:

Blog Entries
    How about Augustus

Quote Originally Posted by sparkys_mom
    Quote Originally Posted by emerald46
    Sometimes it is good to be cautious about choosing a name - it can be self fulfilling. :lol:
    My furbaby is named Poco Diablo. Luckily he isn't a little devil! He does let us know when teen-aged boys come into the house, but other than that he is a little angel.

He is precious and looks just like the Pokey Little Puppy! How blessed he is to have you. How about Challenger for a name as he will be a challenge for sure but will be so worth it.

Blog Entries
    To me he looks like "Timeout" for lots of lovin

I'm a little partial to the name Max, because I have a lab mix named Max, but I loved the suggestion of Keller... very unique and appropriate! Great suggestions Opal Jane!

As for being deaf, I don't know anything about training an already deaf dog, but I do know that dogs aren't guided by sight and sound nearly as much as by smell. I had a Cocker Spaniel who was deaf and blind by the age of six and no one who entered my home believed me. All went well so long as I didn't rearrange the furniture! Your pup will probably stay close to you and may even demand extra attention just to be sure you are noticing him, but he'll give you showers upon showers of unconditional love.

Thanks for saving such a precious boy.... My Max was a rescue too. :-)

A first glance I thought of Buster. I have three adopted dogs from shelters-two are beagles and one is a beagle/jack russell mix.

How about Brutus. It seems approriate for a dog that is going to be a husky fella.

I'd call him Lazarus. He wasn't raised from the dead but close to it. You could nickname him Lazzy.

Blog Entries
    Buster Brown. Do you remember Buster Brown Shoes?

Power Poster
    I love all of the suggestions above. Just wanted to say he is a cutie and I am so glad you gave him a home. Hey, how about Homer?

Blog Entries
    Buster Brown. Do you remember Buster Brown Shoes?

How about "Bear" cause he looks like he's gonna be a big ole Teddy Bear :)

Blog Entries
    I vote for Bruiser! My DH says give him a Chinese name (where'd he get that?) or call him "Same to You" I guess if you say that fast, it sound Chinese! He's adorable and he will help you, better than any book, learn to deal with his disability. Keep him safe and he will do the same for you!

Quote Originally Posted by mhollifiel
    I vote for Bruiser! My DH says give him a Chinese name (where'd he get that?) or call him "Same to You" I guess if you say that fast, it sound Chinese! He's adorable and he will help you, better than any book, learn to deal with his disability. Keep him safe and he will do the same for you!
    "Bruiser" is the first name that popped into my head, too!

love the face, i have white boxer which some are deaf but mine isnt, i rescued her Bailey her name. have little dog jodie her name, yorkie mix
    love wins not matter what....................... :thumbup:

I like Brutus also. Keller would be a good choice too.

Blog Entries
    I love some of the suggestions here...I'd give it a few days though, they usually will tell you their name! Sometimes it takes just a little while (although Keller- Kell for short) is a great name!)

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast