The HELP movie......

Old 08-31-2011, 10:17 AM

Read The Help and saw the movie. Both were very good!!!!!!
Old 08-31-2011, 10:30 AM

I always try to read the book first. Most generally that is not a problem as I usually have read the book before they make the movie. I find the books are better. Not always, but most of the time I feel this way.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:47 AM
mac

I understand what you mean about reading the book before the seeing the movie. I can't remember what John Grishim book I read, but in the book I pictured one of the characters to look and act like Peg Bundy in the TV sitcom "Married with Children." In the movie they cast Holly Hunter in the roll. What a difference it made. She just didn't fit the part and I really had a hard time watching the movie.

After that, I now read books AFTER I see the movie. That way I am not disappointed by the results. This works much better.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:08 AM

The book was the topic book in our book club. It was not the type of book I usually read BUT it was just great! Have not seen the movie.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:23 AM

I understand what you mean about your mind "seeing" the character. I have read all of the Evanovich books and in my mind Stephanie does not look like "Izzie" from Grays. BUT the actress is wonderful so I am sure she will do a great job in the first of the series.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by traumaRN
Saw the movie the weekend it came out, reading the book now. Loved the movie and enjoying the book. I've come to the conclusion that I will always see the movie before reading the book because when I do it the other way I am always disappointed in the movie.
Now that is an interesting idea! I read "The Help" then saw the movie. I usually try to do it in that order. If I do it the other way around, it seems to limit my imagination. I might have to rethink that!
Old 08-31-2011, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Patti Mahoney
Which was better, the book or the movie??

I read V. C. Andrews's Flowers in the Attic series back in the late 1970's and the book was soooo much more detailed and alot better than the movie. I don't usually read the books and watch the movies since then. I was really disappointed in the movie after reading the book first.

I think I'm going to look online and buy the book now. Lets see if it's better or not.

Interesting, I saw that movie years ago, very moving! I did not know that the movie was based on a series of books. I might have to check into the books.

What do you all think???
Old 08-31-2011, 11:49 AM

My BFF and I saw the movie last weekend and we both loved it. I just bought the book and am glad I saw the movie first so I can put faces and voices with the characters in the book. She had already read the book and said the movie was very much the same.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:59 AM

Just saw the movie "The Help" last night and it was very good. Followed the book. However, I would recommend that you read the book. The book has more events--they can't put the entire book into a movie--it would be hours long. Now if they would only make a movie or a tv series about Stephanie Plum from the series of books written by Janet Evenavich. I even have the actors picked out to make this a smash. Sandra Bullack as Stephanie, Antonio Banderas as Ranger, Sherry Sanderson as Lula. Hope I have the names spelled right. Haven't decided on who should play Joe yet. But I'm still dreaming.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Sharonsews
I understand what you mean about your mind "seeing" the character. I have read all of the Evanovich books and in my mind Stephanie does not look like "Izzie" from Grays. BUT the actress is wonderful so I am sure she will do a great job in the first of the series.
NO,NO,NO. That actress, Kathryn whatever from Gray's Anatomy is DEFINETLY not Stephanie. I'm so disappointed already. Will be alright if they use Queen Latifa for Lula, but how badly will they mess up Ranger and Joe? Gonna go cry in my beer