Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: help needed for cleaning my black kitchen range

Blog Entries

help needed for cleaning my black kitchen range

I have this black kitchen range and it is so hard to clean. No matter how hard I work on it. It just doesn't look clean. Water spots just don't come off and get grease on it that's even worse. I have tried soft scrub, even tooth paste, dawn dish soap and hot water, window cleaner, rubbing alcohol and many other things but nothing I have tried really works. If you own a black kitchen range can you please tell me what works for you?

I use Windex multi surface antibacterial.

The trick with my MIL's was, after cleaning, make sure you dry with a paper towel.

Blog Entries
    I have a black gas range and I use oven cleaner on it to get the tuff stuff, have for years. It still looks like new. I also have used old wine or vinegar to get tuff stuff out of pots n pans, it works best on a hot surface. good luck
    Judy

Senior Member Chester the bunny's Avatar
    Like NJ Quilter said. You have to have a wet cloth in one hand and a dry one on the other, otherwise it is just a streakfest. I use a wet dishcloth with dish soap and wash the top, rinse a few times and then the last pass has a dry cloth right behind.
    Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.
    Edmund Burke

Funny, I just cleaned mine today! I use Zep. Spray it on, leave it for a minute, wipe it off with a paper towel, then buff the stovetop with a soft cloth. That's all I do. It takes the grease right off.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1074
Size:  279.9 KB

The only place I've ever found it is Lowe's. This stuff rocks. I use it on the stove, the burners and the grates.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  210.0 KB

Those burners had quite a bit of grease on them. It's allllll gone!
    Tenacity is more than endurance. It is endurance combined with the absolute certainty that what we are looking for is going to transpire. -Oswald Chambers

My brother had a condo with the same kind of stove and he had problems keeping it clean.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    I use GREASED LIGHTNING. I seen it at Lowe's and Home Depot. I buy it at BJ's. Need to wipe dry.

Great info! Have to try some of these suggestions. I have trouble with mine also!!

WD 40. More like a polish.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Material Witness View Post
    WD 40. More like a polish.
    I don't think it's a good idea to use WD40 in the house because of the chemicals in it (especially exposed to heat). In any case, I cant stand the smell. DH used it on a squeaky metal porch chair and the odor bothered me for months even though the chair was virtually outside all the time. I have forbidden him to ever use it inside the house. I'd have to move out!
    Last edited by Prism99; 06-22-2015 at 08:21 PM.

I too have a black stove and I always use a microfiber cleaning cloth on it. That seems to get the dirt off and leave it sparkling clean with no spots. I rarely ever use any cleaning products, and my stove really gets dirty. Love those microfibers.

I used to have black glass top range and I always used an SOS pad to clean it. Worked great.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Wd40?????? Won't that make a gas stove blow up??
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !

My DD was visiting last week and I was just telling her that I am pretty sure a person must be nuts to buy black appliances. My stove is also driving me bananas. It isn't worth the grief you go through trying to keep it from looking like a smeared mess.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

Blog Entries
    WD40 is GREAT! The main ingredient is fish oil. Works like a polish on all kinds of stuff. Best for glass top stoves, stainless fridge fronts, dishwasher fronts, oven doors. Microwave doors. Not just for squeaky things. Best to spray on your bait too. Guaranteed to catch you a fish. Google all the uses, you WILL be astonished.
    .Black appliances have met their match.

Last edited by marshaKay; 06-23-2015 at 06:54 AM. Reason: additional text

Not sure which is worse, black topped stoves or stainless (not) steel appliances!! Why, oh why, didn't I keep my old fashioned white ones??????
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Blog Entries
    I have tried all of these suggestions with the exception of the WD 40 I can't stand the way it smells either. It looks beautiful and then I blink - it's weird. Its like wearing a pair of black slacks and owning a white Angora cat. It came with the rental of this house. But when its my choice it will be a nice white stove. I have learned to ignore it now that I've seen -make that heard -my brother cleaning his stainless steel kitchen. Personally I like nice white stoves and fridge's..

There is a product called Oven and Grill GooGone that is the best thing I have ever found. I get mine at the local True Value Hardware. I spray it on and kind of smear it around all over. Let it sit while I finish up everything else in the kitchen, then take a clean wash wet wash cloth and just wipe it down. It is absolutely effortless. For the other little spots and waterspots I just wipe with the Clorox wet wipes and its done. Kitchen takes no time anymore and I love it

Blog Entries
    Just to set the record straight on WD40, I found this snopes page:
    http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/wd-40.asp

According to the MSDS for WD40, there is no fish oil in the product. Ingredients are primarily petroleum-based (which to me means you do not want to be inhaling them over long periods of time):
    http://www.wd40company.com/files/pdf...d494716385.pdf

I agree, and i feel the same about stainless steel...TOO much trouble. I always keep my house clean, but I want to do it quickly, not spend time polishing. I love white!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper32 View Post
    My DD was visiting last week and I was just telling her that I am pretty sure a person must be nuts to buy black appliances. My stove is also driving me bananas. It isn't worth the grief you go through trying to keep it from looking like a smeared mess.

I found soft scrub advanced surface worked great on my black stove.

I use Mr. Clean Magic Erasers on my stove top. It is black & once I scrub it with the erasers, I rinse it with a clean, wet with hot water dish cloth & then I wipe it dry with a dry, soft towel. Takes just about anything off.
    Dance like no one is watching

1 of my clients has stainless frig, stove, D/W I found a product online called Cerama-brite for stainless.It wipes on & 2nd dry cloth wipes off. Only thing I found that works good & fast.

Blog Entries
    Thank you everyone for all the good information. I have made a list and I can't wait to try them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast