Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Help needed to keep Poodle warm. >

Help needed to keep Poodle warm.

Help needed to keep Poodle warm.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the wonderful ideas. I just wasn't sure how to keep her as warm as she wants to be. I have never had a dog that was cold before. She is so funny, I told her she needs one of those baby carriers where you hold them next to your chest. She wants to be held, but not on my lap. She wants to lay right against my chest. I wondered if it was so she could feel my heartbeat, but I don't know. She is the first dog that I have had that has to sleep under the covers right next to me. I worried at first that I would lay on her, but she moves quickly enough that I dont hurt her.
Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:07 PM

I used a heating pad on low heat and placed it on their beds pillows. Did not hurt them and was enough to keep them cuddly. Still do this for my other pets. And most of my pets have their own sweaters I buy at the pet stores. Hope you get her warm.

I am small and cuddly and sooooo warm.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]107314[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-107309.jpe  
Old 10-23-2010, 08:09 PM

My poodle is like that, has his own blankie he sleeps under and he likes to cuddle against my chest. I keep a "warming throw" on the couch that turns itself off after 10 hours. He and my chihuahua sleep on that all the time. They let me know when it's time to turn it on, too! They cost $30 at Wmt, but may be cheaper somewhere else. I also made a big dog bed with two of the cheapie fleece blankets sewn together filled with batting scraps. It is very fluffy and they love to snuggle down in it, also.

I keep a mattress warmer on my bed year round to help with my arthritis and fibromyalgia, it helps me and is their favorite place to nap.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:56 AM

My daughter bought baby tee-shirts and sweaters at the GoodWill store for her elderly dog, kept the shirt on her all the time, and layered sweaters for going outdoors. Easily washed, and comfortable for the dog. Hope this helps. piecefully, the old one
Old 10-24-2010, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Thanks for the wonderful ideas. I just wasn't sure how to keep her as warm as she wants to be. I have never had a dog that was cold before. She is so funny, I told her she needs one of those baby carriers where you hold them next to your chest. She wants to be held, but not on my lap. She wants to lay right against my chest. I wondered if it was so she could feel my heartbeat, but I don't know. She is the first dog that I have had that has to sleep under the covers right next to me. I worried at first that I would lay on her, but she moves quickly enough that I dont hurt her.
Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.
I have a Great Dane that sleeps with me. She needs to be right up against me. They are called Velcro Great Danes. I made her a fleece coat with flannel lining for winter as she gets cold outside. Some dogs just need to be close to their "master" more so than being cold. But I would have blankets or pieces of fleece handy for her to cuddle in. My dogs love to have blankets to nest in.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:07 AM

When I fostered small dogs, I would cut the arms off old sweaters the length of the dog's body and then cut two holes for the front dogs. They kept the dogs warm and stayed on the dogs also. I also used a heating pad on low with a folded towel over it. You have to be careful that the cord is completely hidden as some dogs will chew the cord and then......bad news. I have a Boston Terrier who is 29 pounds who is freezing and I love the inside temp at 68 so she is always in her sweater. I use the body of a child's sweater for her. Good luck.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:57 AM

Know exactly where you're coming from. Over 30 years we had 5 Danes. Adored every one and every one had to sleep with us. Last one was 183 lb and insisted on sleeping in the middle, often sharing a pillow. I got the back, my husband got the front (including the paws across his shoulders). Didn't matter how we started out, by morning we were three in a row. My husband was in the Marines and often away for a year but I can truthfully say I never slept alone!
Old 10-24-2010, 08:59 AM

when i got my fat cat he was so cold he cried all night. i filled a large tupperware with hot hot hot water before his bedtime, covered with a towel and tucked the ends under. i plopped that cat right on the heated tupperware. he slept through the entire night. i'll bet if you dressed your dog in a baby or child sweatshirt and then plopped him on a hot water container, he'd be as warm as toast. covered with a blanket, he'd be toast.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:32 AM

Don't have a pattern, but my mom has a mini daushound and she made a sleeping bag out of polo fleece. She doubled it to make it extra thick, stitched up three sides, turned down the top. The dog loves it. She goes in by herself to sleep when mom watches tv and bed. She used to have to hold her alot as well. Good luck!! :lol:
Old 10-24-2010, 08:50 PM

http://www.barlowscientific.com/tech...me/sweater.htm

http://www.marthastewart.com/article...c=related_test

http://prettylittlethings.typepad.co...ittle-pig.html

http://www.saunalahti.fi/glottis/quickcoat.htm

http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/199...ives/26?p=2687

Thanks Pocoellie for posting these links. I have wanted to make my 'Baby' a coat that fit her better and I think these site will do the trick.