Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Help needed to keep Poodle warm. >

Help needed to keep Poodle warm.

Help needed to keep Poodle warm.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I can't afford to have the heat as high as I would like in my house. My mini poodle, Molly thinks she is cold if it goes below 80'. I am looking for any ideas or free patterns available for fleece coats to make to keep her warm. I can't afford to buy an expensive pattern at the moment and I really don't know how to sew much besides quilts. Any ideas would be very welcome. I can't hold her all of the time and that is what she wants right now when she thinks she is cold. Thanks!
why not knit her a coat in say mohair, that will trap the heat AND you could make her a reflecta bed --------I have made several, you buy the "wadding" which is made up of a tin foil/fabric mixture and messy but easy to do , the cover is fleece and reflects their body heat back to them.
I also give my oldies wheat bags [at a lower heat] these are v comforting to them.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:01 AM

Thanks for the wonderful ideas. I just wasn't sure how to keep her as warm as she wants to be. I have never had a dog that was cold before. She is so funny, I told her she needs one of those baby carriers where you hold them next to your chest. She wants to be held, but not on my lap. She wants to lay right against my chest. I wondered if it was so she could feel my heartbeat, but I don't know. She is the first dog that I have had that has to sleep under the covers right next to me. I worried at first that I would lay on her, but she moves quickly enough that I dont hurt her.
Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.
Tink is the same way! I bought a dog carrier that you strap on your chest like a baby carrier and she thinks it is great when I sewing. I have her next to my heart, and it is hands free. Tink also has her own fleece blankets on the sofa and in the family room and she burrows into them as needed. She also has her quilt on the bed and lifts the blanket with her head and completely covers herself. I made it with flannel squares on 1 side, satin on the other with polar fleece as the batting. Nice and warm!
Old 10-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Banned

Great question and answers. The other night as I put my HEAVY irish knit sweater on to take out our 6 month old labradoodle I thought even though Jilly had longish curly hair she must be cold. I wanted to make her somthing to keep her warm. Thanks for posting all the links.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mayday
I can't afford to have the heat as high as I would like in my house. My mini poodle, Molly thinks she is cold if it goes below 80'. I am looking for any ideas or free patterns available for fleece coats to make to keep her warm. I can't afford to buy an expensive pattern at the moment and I really don't know how to sew much besides quilts. Any ideas would be very welcome. I can't hold her all of the time and that is what she wants right now when she thinks she is cold. Thanks!
why not knit her a coat in say mohair, that will trap the heat AND you could make her a reflecta bed --------I have made several, you buy the "wadding" which is made up of a tin foil/fabric mixture and messy but easy to do , the cover is fleece and reflects their body heat back to them.
I also give my oldies wheat bags [at a lower heat] these are v comforting to them.
Can I ask what weat bags are? Is that like a heating pad?